zsh-users
* Re: Hi ! :O)
@ 2005-03-05 18:47 William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-03-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meino.Cramer; +Cc: zsh-users

Dear Meino:

Two great places to get more information on how zsh works:

1.  http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/   The user-friendly user's guide to
zsh.  I found this to be extremely helpful and very well-written.  The
author has a well-developed sense of humo(u)r.  I printed it out and
had it bound (inexpensively).  On-line it is free.

2.  From bash to Z shell -- this is a new book that describes much of
how to use zsh (as well as bash) in detail.   http://babyurl.com/IRADe2
    It is well worth the money.

HTH,

Bill

William G. Scott

Associate Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

* Re: Hi ! :O)
@ 2005-03-06  0:57 ` Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-06  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wgscott, schaefer, strcat, pws; +Cc: zsh-users

From: William Scott <wgscott@chemistry.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Re: Hi ! :O)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:47:46 -0800

Dear all,

 *THANK YOU* :) very much for all your help and the links to the
  documentation! Thats helps all a lot. :O)

  Have a nice weekend !!!
  Meino

> Dear Meino:
>
> Two great places to get more information on how zsh works:
>
> 1.  http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/   The user-friendly user's guide to
> zsh.  I found this to be extremely helpful and very well-written.  The
> author has a well-developed sense of humo(u)r.  I printed it out and
> had it bound (inexpensively).  On-line it is free.
>
> 2.  From bash to Z shell -- this is a new book that describes much of
> how to use zsh (as well as bash) in detail.   http://babyurl.com/IRADe2
>     It is well worth the money.
>
> HTH,
>
> Bill
>

> William G. Scott
>
> Associate Professor
> Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
> and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
> Sinsheimer Laboratories
> University of California at Santa Cruz
> Santa Cruz, California 95064
> USA

* Re: Hi ! :O)
@ 2005-03-05 18:12     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-03-05 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meino Christian Cramer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mar 5,  7:31am, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
}
}  ...with my newbie-like understanding of zsh I could give
}
} 		zmv
}
}  on the commandline then, but I get
}
} 	   zsh: failed to load module: zsh/zmv
}        zmv: autoload failed

Start over.

Get rid of the "zmodload zsh/zmv zmv"  from your .zshrc and start a brand
new shell.  Having that command in your .zshrc will break everything else
you try with zmv later.

INSTEAD of the "zmodload", place "autoload zmv" in your .zshrc.

* Re: Hi ! :O)
@ 2005-03-05  6:39     ` Christian Schneider
From: Christian Schneider @ 2005-03-05  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de> typed:
> From: Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>
> Subject: Re: Hi ! :O)
> Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:25:55 +0000
>
>  Thank you for your reply. :O)
>
>  ...with my newbie-like understanding of zsh I could give
>
> 		zmv
>
>  on the commandline then, but I get
>
> 	   zsh: failed to load module: zsh/zmv
>        zmv: autoload failed

>  I feel totally wrong in this case, but....WHAT is wrong ?

zmv is a function; *not* a module! Just add "autoload zmv" (without the
quotes) in your ~/.zshrc. Take a quick look into the zsh-guide ;)
http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/zshguide03.html#l49

* Re: Hi ! :O)
@ 2005-03-05  6:31   ` Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-05  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pws; +Cc: zsh-users

From: Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:25:55 +0000

Hi Peter !

 Thank you for your reply. :O)

 ...with my newbie-like understanding of zsh I could give

		zmv

 on the commandline then, but I get

	   zsh: failed to load module: zsh/zmv
       zmv: autoload failed

 I feel totally wrong in this case, but....WHAT is wrong ?

 Sorry for the real beginner's qeustions....

 Have a nice weekend!
 Meino

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> >  I have a thre first question:
> >  I added the following line to my .zshrc
> >
> >    zmodload zsh/zmv zmv
> >
> >  then giving
> >
> >    zmv
> >
> >  just as an test on the commandline gives me:
> >
> >    zsh: failed to load module: zsh/zmv
> >    zmv: autoload failed
>
> zmv is a function, not part of a module; you need to "autoload zmv".
>
> --
> Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>                  Software Engineer
> CSR PLC, Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park, Cowley Road
> Cambridge, CB4 0WZ, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

> the system manager.

* Re: Hi ! :O)
@ 2005-03-04 10:25 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-03-04 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
>  I have a thre first question:
>  I added the following line to my .zshrc
>
>    zmodload zsh/zmv zmv
>
>  then giving
>
>    zmv
>
>  just as an test on the commandline gives me:
>
>    zsh: failed to load module: zsh/zmv
>    zmv: autoload failed

zmv is a function, not part of a module; you need to "autoload zmv".

the system manager.

* Hi ! :O)
@ 2005-03-03  5:01 Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-03  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi all ! :)

 I just want to say "HELLO" -- I just subscribed to this list.
 A week ago I used ZShell the first time -- I am using Linux with Bash
 since ten years though.

 I have a thre first question:
 I added the following line to my .zshrc

   zmodload zsh/zmv zmv

 then giving

   zmv

 just as an test on the commandline gives me:

   zsh: failed to load module: zsh/zmv
   zmv: autoload failed

 Other commands like

   zmodload -a zsh/stat stat

 and then

   stat <file>

 works fine.

 ????

 Another question:

   ls a<TAB>

 is /damn/ slow trying to complete.

 Bash in the same directory is much faster. I am sure I only have done
 something very wrong only...but what.

 A third question:
 Setting TERM=xterm-color corrupts my prompt, while setting it to
 TERM=xterm works fine, but corrupts many other progs like mc,
 alsamixer etc...

 Any idea?

 Thank you very much in advance!
 Kind regards,