zsh-users
* Re: correction
@ 2005-03-22  2:26 Paul Falstad
From: Paul Falstad @ 2005-03-22  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> This appears to have happened during the Interregnum, er, that is, before
> 1997, during the period when both of us were dissociated from zsh, in my
> case because I objected to the stated intent of the lead maintainers to
> rip out various csh-derived syntax and features.  IIRC this was when the
> word "junkie" got inserted into all the csh compatibility option names,
> in prep for dumping them entirely (which thankfully never happened).

I think I put in some of the csh_junkie_* option names.

> Anyway, the present correctall behavior you describe already appears in
> the oldest copy of 3.0 that I can lay hands on, but is "your way" in 2.4.

Oh, correctall, right.  For plain old "correct" (for commands only) I suppose
the new way makes sense, since unwanted spelling correction can't do much
damage.  For correctall, it can.  I suppose if I had smarter compctls or
whatever, I could avoid this problem.

* Re: correction
@ 2005-03-21 21:29 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-03-21 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Falstad, zsh-users

On Mar 20,  8:48pm, Paul Falstad wrote:
} Hi everyone,

(Chorus) Hi, Paul!

} I have a complaint about spelling correction.

(Collective gasp)

} Back in my day, anything but 'y' (and tab, which was a bad idea) was
} treated as 'n' for the purpose of spelling correction. Now, though, if
} you type something invalid, zsh keeps waiting for something valid.

This appears to have happened during the Interregnum, er, that is, before
1997, during the period when both of us were dissociated from zsh, in my
case because I objected to the stated intent of the lead maintainers to
rip out various csh-derived syntax and features.  IIRC this was when the
word "junkie" got inserted into all the csh compatibility option names,
in prep for dumping them entirely (which thankfully never happened).

Anyway, the present correctall behavior you describe already appears in
the oldest copy of 3.0 that I can lay hands on, but is "your way" in 2.4.
So it's been 8 or 10 years since the change.

} I will be fixing my copy of zsh to treat anything but 'y' as an 'n'

Except 'a' or 'e' ...

} I humbly request that you add an option (at least) to do the same

At this point I think that'd be what we'd have to do.

* correction
@ 2005-03-21  4:48 Paul Falstad
From: Paul Falstad @ 2005-03-21  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi everyone,

I have a complaint about spelling correction.  Back in my day, anything but 'y'
(and tab, which was a bad idea) was treated as 'n' for the purpose of spelling
correction.  Now, though, if you type something invalid, zsh keeps waiting for
something valid.  This causes problems because, inevitably, I do not notice the
spelling correction prompt until I am in the middle of typing another command.

So, if I type a command "cp file newfile2", and newfile1 is already there, it
asks me if I want to correct to newfile1 (which I don't want).  By the time I
realize it, I've already typed "cp (something else)", so the c and p are
ignored, and the space is taken as a 'y', and newfile1 is trashed.

I will be fixing my copy of zsh to treat anything but 'y' as an 'n' in this
case, and I humbly request that you add an option (at least) to do the same in
the official version.

Thanks for all your hard work!