zsh-users
* funced?
@ 2005-04-02 15:34 Julius Plenz
From: Julius Plenz @ 2005-04-02 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi!

I really like zsh's feature to *edit* a variable with vared. Recently
I came across a situation where I needed to edit a function. After
STFM and TFW I still didn't know how to do that, so I edited the
function in my zshrc and reloaded the file whenever I made a change.

Now I'm curious if there already is such a builtin "funcedit" or so.
Is it even *possible* to edit a function in realtime?

Julius
--
% zsh --version
zsh 4.2.4 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

* Re: funced?
@ 2005-04-02 15:47 ` Andrey Borzenkov
From: Andrey Borzenkov @ 2005-04-02 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Julius Plenz

* Re: funced?
@ 2005-04-02 16:04 ` Christian Taylor
From: Christian Taylor @ 2005-04-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> I really like zsh's feature to *edit* a variable with vared. Recently
> I came across a situation where I needed to edit a function. After
> STFM and TFW I still didn't know how to do that, so I edited the
> function in my zshrc and reloaded the file whenever I made a change.
>
> Now I'm curious if there already is such a builtin "funcedit" or so.
> Is it even *possible* to edit a function in realtime?

I use zed for this. Just put

autoload -U zed

in your .zshrc, then you can use "zed <file>" to edit small files and
"zed -f <function>" to edit functions in realtime.

Christian