zsh-users
* Cannot export some shell variables
@ 2005-04-18  4:51 Vincent Stemen
From: Vincent Stemen @ 2005-04-18  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi.

Some shell variables do not seem to export to child shells.  Two
variable names I know of so far are $y and $r.  Is there something
special about certain variable names that could cause this behavior?

For example:

# export x=1 y=2 z=3 q=4 r=5
# env
SAVEHIST=500
DIRSTACKSIZE=8
x=1
y=2
z=3
q=4
r=5

# zsh
# env
SAVEHIST=500
DIRSTACKSIZE=8
x=1
z=3
q=4

As you can see, they are all in the environment before running a child
shell.

I unset all shell options to make sure no options were somehow causing
it (That one has gotten me several times before) but it did not make
any difference.

I tested under two different releases of zsh on two different
platforms:
  zsh 4.2.1 (i386--netbsdelf)
  zsh 4.2.0 (i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1)

and got the same result.  It also does the same thing if I use the
allexport option rather than exporting them individually.

I also did the same test under both sh and bash and did not have that
problem.

Any ideas?

--
Vincent Stemen
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!

* Re: Cannot export some shell variables
@ 2005-04-18  7:33 ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2005-04-18  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Stemen; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Vincent :)

 * Vincent Stemen <zsh@hightek.org> dixit:
> Some shell variables do not seem to export to child shells.  Two
> variable names I know of so far are $y and $r.  Is there something
> special about certain variable names that could cause this
> behavior?

    Not that I know of. Maybe your rc files are doing something
weird?

> For example:
>
> # export x=1 y=2 z=3 q=4 r=5
> # env
> SAVEHIST=500
> DIRSTACKSIZE=8
> x=1
> y=2
> z=3
> q=4
> r=5
>
> # zsh
> # env
> SAVEHIST=500
> DIRSTACKSIZE=8
> x=1
> z=3
> q=4

    Same commands here and I didn't got that output. My 'env' showed
the same list of vars the two times, running 4.2.5. Maybe you hit a
bug in an older version :?????

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/

* Re: Cannot export some shell variables
@ 2005-04-19  3:02   ` Vincent Stemen
From: Vincent Stemen @ 2005-04-19  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: DervishD

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:33:59AM +0200, DervishD wrote:
>     Hi Vincent :)
>
>  * Vincent Stemen <zsh@hightek.org> dixit:
> > Some shell variables do not seem to export to child shells.  Two
> > variable names I know of so far are $y and $r.  Is there something
> > special about certain variable names that could cause this
> > behavior?
>
>     Not that I know of. Maybe your rc files are doing something
> weird?

Yes, you are right!  It was a dumb user malfunction on my part. I
tested today running zsh with "-f" so it would not run the rc scripts
and it worked properly.  I had forgotten that I was using $r and $y in
my zshrc script and then unsetting them before exiting.  I don't know
why I did not think to check that last night.  I think part of my
brain had already gone to sleep before I was ready to stop working for
the night.

Thanks for the response.

--

@ 2005-04-19  7:53     ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2005-04-19  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Stemen; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Vincent :)

 * Vincent Stemen <zsh@hightek.org> dixit:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:33:59AM +0200, DervishD wrote:
> >  * Vincent Stemen <zsh@hightek.org> dixit:
> > > Some shell variables do not seem to export to child shells.  Two
> > > variable names I know of so far are $y and $r.  Is there something
> > > special about certain variable names that could cause this
> > > behavior?
> >     Not that I know of. Maybe your rc files are doing something
> > weird?
> Yes, you are right!  It was a dumb user malfunction on my part.

    Nice :) So it is solved. This have hit me a couple of times,
that's why I suggested.

> I think part of my brain had already gone to sleep before I was
> ready to stop working for the night.

    I understand, it happens to me quite frequently O:)

> Thanks for the response.

    You're welcome :)