zsh-users
* Re: Big delay on login: What's wrong?
@ 2005-05-12 12:41 Fafa Hafiz Krantz
From: Fafa Hafiz Krantz @ 2005-05-12 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei A. Voropaev; +Cc: zsh-users, questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrei A. Voropaev" <av@simcon-mt.com>
To: "Fafa Hafiz Krantz" <fteg@london.com>
Subject: Re: Big delay on login: What's wrong?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:19:21 +0200

> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:49:52AM -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm on a Pentium 120 with FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE, and zsh-4.2.5.
> > When I log in, I have to wait in between 5 to 10 seconds before
> > the prompt displays. Even though I use a functional zshrc file
> > that has proven to work on other systems, things like auto
> > completion doesn't seem to work in this case.
> >
> > # cat /etc/zshrc
> > #
> > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zshrc
> >
> > # cat /etc/zlogout
> > #
> > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zlogout
> >
> > # zsh -x
> > #
> > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zsh-x
> >
> > Somebody know?
>
> Most likely it has nothing to do with zsh. Once we had the same problem
> because one of the daemons (I think ident) was trying to connect back to
> the machine where connection was coming from to find out username there.
> And we had firewall that was blocking those connections. So, login had
> to wait till that daemon gave up.
>
> YMMV.
>
> --
> Minds, like parachutes, function best when open

That's strange.

I doubt I have any daemons running that PF doesn't allow.

# cat /etc/pf.conf
#

int_if="ep0"
ext_if="lnc0"

set     block-policy drop
scrub   in all

nat     on $ext_if from $int_if:network to any -> ($ext_if)
rdr     on $int_if proto tcp from any to any \
        port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021

block   drop log all
pass    quick on { lo0 $int_if }

pass    out on $ext_if inet proto { tcp, udp, icmp } \
        from any to any keep state

pass    in on $ext_if inet proto { tcp, udp } \
        from any to ($ext_if) port 53
pass    out on $ext_if inet proto { tcp, udp } \
        from any port 53 to any

pass    out on $ext_if inet proto udp \
        from any to any port 123 keep state

pass    in on $ext_if inet proto tcp \
        from any to ($ext_if) port { 22, 80, 113 } flags S/SA keep state

pass    in on $ext_if inet proto tcp \
        from any port 20 to ($ext_if) user proxy flags S/SA keep state

pass    in on $ext_if proto tcp \
        from any to any port 31337 keep state
pass    in on $ext_if proto tcp \
        from any to any port 53333:55555

By the way, I like the slogan in your signature.
It's among the best I've ever heard, as it applies to all things.

--

Fafa Hafiz Krantz
  Research Designer @ http://www.home.no/barbershop

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

* Re: Big delay on login: What's wrong?
@ 2005-05-12 13:17 ` Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-05-12 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fafa Hafiz Krantz; +Cc: zsh-users, questions

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:41:28AM -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:

> > On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:49:52AM -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I'm on a Pentium 120 with FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE, and zsh-4.2.5.
> > > When I log in, I have to wait in between 5 to 10 seconds before
> > > the prompt displays. Even though I use a functional zshrc file
> > > that has proven to work on other systems, things like auto
> > > completion doesn't seem to work in this case.
> > >
> > > # cat /etc/zshrc
> > > #
> > > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zshrc
> > >
> > > # cat /etc/zlogout
> > > #
> > > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zlogout
> > >
> > > # zsh -x
> > > #
> > > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zsh-x
> > >
> > > Somebody know?
> >
> > Most likely it has nothing to do with zsh. Once we had the same problem
> > because one of the daemons (I think ident) was trying to connect back to
> > the machine where connection was coming from to find out username there.
> > And we had firewall that was blocking those connections. So, login had
> > to wait till that daemon gave up.
> >
> > YMMV.
> >
> > --
> > Minds, like parachutes, function best when open
>
> That's strange.
>
> I doubt I have any daemons running that PF doesn't allow.
[...]

I would simply change to some other shell and try to login. If delay
disappears, then it's problem of zsh setup. If not, then it's problem
outside of zsh.

> By the way, I like the slogan in your signature.
> It's among the best I've ever heard, as it applies to all things.

One guy has commented it as "Looks like today my mind is completely
closed, so I'm doomed to crash into ground" :)

* Re: Big delay on login: What's wrong?
@ 2005-05-12 14:35   ` Fafa Hafiz Krantz
From: Fafa Hafiz Krantz @ 2005-05-12 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei A. Voropaev; +Cc: zsh-users, questions

What up Andrei!

> I would simply change to some other shell and try to login. If delay
> disappears, then it's problem of zsh setup. If not, then it's problem
> outside of zsh.

I used to run tcsh before this.
No delay there, which brings me back to zsh.

Again, my setup is the same as on a computer where there is no delay.
Maybe because that's an Intel Pentium 3,2GHz whereas the one with the
delay is only 120MHz. Still, it shouldn't be like this.

Any idea?

> > By the way, I like the slogan in your signature.
> > It's among the best I've ever heard, as it applies to all things.
>
> One guy has commented it as "Looks like today my mind is completely
> closed, so I'm doomed to crash into ground" :)

Heheh :)

--

@ 2005-05-12 16:45     ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2005-05-12 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fafa Hafiz Krantz; +Cc: zsh-users, questions

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 09:35:11AM -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> I used to run tcsh before this.
> No delay there, which brings me back to zsh.

If you haven't tried it in a while, be sure to re-test to make sure that
something didn't change recently.  I ran into an ident delay a while
back, and fixed it by opening a hole in my firewall to a machine on my
local network, even though it wasn't running identd -- that made the
reverse ident attempt immediately fail (with a connection refused)
instead of hanging for a bit, waiting to timeout.

..wayne..

* Re: Big delay on login: What's wrong?
@ 2005-05-12 16:15 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-05-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On May 12,  4:49am, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
}
} I'm on a Pentium 120 with FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE, and zsh-4.2.5.
} When I log in, I have to wait in between 5 to 10 seconds before

I just can't get worked up about a 5-10 second delay on a P120.  If
we were talking 30+ seconds, *that's* a "big" delay.  5 seconds is
a small delay.

However, the most likely cause is compaudit calling "getent group".
So, I retract my earlier advice about "compinit -C".  Run compinit
with no arguments once to get the .zcompdump file created, and then
go ahead and use "compinit -C" in your zshrc.

If after that you're still seeing a delay, your best bet for finding
it is to put

	typeset -F SECONDS

somewhere near the top of your zshrc file and then insert a lot of

	: $SECONDS

lines between various things, and then look at the "zsh -x" capture.

* Re: Big delay on login: What's wrong?
@ 2005-05-12 11:19 ` Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-05-12 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fafa Hafiz Krantz; +Cc: zsh-users