zsh-users
* _retrieve_mac_apps bad chache problem
@ 2005-06-12  2:51 Marco Zunino
From: Marco Zunino @ 2005-06-12  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Please Help!!!

After I reinstalled Mac OS Tiger, when I try to do to

 "open -a " + TAB

instead of the standard completiotion I get a hugly
series of line like:

   _retrieve_mac_apps:20: permission denied: .DS_Store
   _retrieve_mac_apps:20: permission denied:
Finder_Toolbar_Applications.dmg

This happens only in my main user account and only the
first time I try "open -a" after opening a shell. I
guess that the reason is that zsh try to create a
cache but due to a bad permission it can't, but I can
not guess where to remove this file.

If you can, please ***HELP***

Pax Vobiscum,

Marco Zunino

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: _retrieve_mac_apps bad chache problem
@ 2005-06-12  4:38 ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-06-12  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Zunino; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi Marco:

In 10.4 you can avoid the cache altogether, as mdfind is sufficiently fast
to allow real-time completions for open -a.  I did however notice that the
very first time there is about a 10 second lag, which raises my blood
pressure, so I found running the mdfind command in the background upon
shell initialization speeds things up.

I implemented this hack in what is doubltess substandard code, but if you
want to play with it, _open, an augmented open function, and a few others
are here for the taking:

http://xanana.ucsc.edu/Library/init/zsh/local-functions/darwin/

HTH,

Bill Scott

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Marco Zunino wrote:

> Please Help!!!
>
> After I reinstalled Mac OS Tiger, when I try to do to
>
>  "open -a " + TAB
>
> instead of the standard completiotion I get a hugly
> series of line like:
>
>    _retrieve_mac_apps:20: permission denied: .DS_Store
>    _retrieve_mac_apps:20: permission denied:
> Finder_Toolbar_Applications.dmg
>
> This happens only in my main user account and only the
> first time I try "open -a" after opening a shell. I
> guess that the reason is that zsh try to create a
> cache but due to a bad permission it can't, but I can
> not guess where to remove this file.
>
> If you can, please ***HELP***
>
> Pax Vobiscum,
>
> Marco Zunino

> http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: metadata completion functions for OS X 10.4
@ 2005-07-03  1:36 ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-07-03  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: William Scott

Hi folks:

I am trying to write some completion functions for the new metadata
utilities distributed with Mac OS X v. 10.4.x. that make fast searches
possible.

Currently I have a simple one for the mdls command that seems to behave:

http://xanana.ucsc.edu/Library/init/zsh/local-functions/darwin/_mdls

The one I am trying to write for _mdfind isn't very good currently, and
could benefit from someone who really knows what they are doing having a
look at it:

http://xanana.ucsc.edu/Library/init/zsh/local-functions/darwin/_mdfind

Hopefully the comments at the top give the basic idea.  It suffers from
several problems that I am sure are straightforward for people who
understand this stuff better than I do.

1.  In my _mdls function, I have some zstyles at the top that work
straight away.  But in the _mdfind function, they don't kick in until the
second time it is invoked.

2.  There are two types of commands one can issue with mdfind that don't
have -x type arguments, eg:

mdfind "kMDItemContentType == '<any string>'"
mdfind <any string>

I'm not sure how to differentiate between the two types of commands.
What I have sort of works, but it seems quite clunky and amaturish.

3. For completions of the command of the form
mdfind "kMDItemContentType == '<any string>'"
I am using compadd  -P \" -p kMDItem -S " == '"  to add in the
first set of double-quotes, then the constant prefix kMDItem and then a
suffix == '   but I am not sure how to prompt for the string and then
automatically close first the single quote and then the double quote.
Also occasionally I seem to wind up with
mdfind """kMDItemContentType == '"

If anyone has suggestions or could point me toward relevant examples I
would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Scott