zsh-users
* Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-04 19:37 Nikolai Weibull
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-04 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Vim has issues with files that begin with a + (or two +s for that
matter), so I'd like to add a ./ prefix to such files when completing.
I thought I knew how to do this, but alas I do not.  Anyone that does?

Thanks,
        nikolai

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-05  0:13 ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-07-05  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: zsh-users

Dear Nikolai:

If I am understanding the question correctly, I think you need something
like

compadd -P "./"

but I don't know if that will cure the problem with the + signs.

Bill Scott

Born in Chicago, IL USA; currently residing in Santa Crud, CA

@ 2005-07-05  4:23 ` Thomas Köhler
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2005-07-05  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Vim has issues with files that begin with a + (or two +s for that
> matter), so I'd like to add a ./ prefix to such files when completing.
> I thought I knew how to do this, but alas I do not.  Anyone that does?

Not knowing the zsh answer, I would add a "--" once before the
"strange" file name:
vim -- +myfile
Should help...

Ciao,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler       Email:       jean-luc@picard.franken.de
     <><             WWW:              http://gott-gehabt.de

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-05  8:07   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-05  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

William Scott wrote:

> If I am understanding the question correctly, I think you need
> something like
>
> compadd -P "./"
>
> but I don't know if that will cure the problem with the + signs.

Adding the ./ prefix certainly helps, as Vim won't see the + signs as
special any more.  However, the solution I was looking for would
automatically add the ./ prefix when completing a filename beginning
with a + (perhaps only if vim is the command in command position).  So
I need even more basic information than the compadd command-line.  I was
hoping it could be done using zstyles.

> Born in Chicago, IL USA; currently residing in Santa Crud, CA

:-),

@ 2005-07-05  8:09   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-05  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thomas Köhler wrote:

> Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > Vim has issues with files that begin with a + (or two +s for that
> > matter), so I'd like to add a ./ prefix to such files when
> > completing.  I thought I knew how to do this, but alas I do not.
> > Anyone that does?

> Not knowing the zsh answer, I would add a "--" once before the
> "strange" file name:
> vim -- +myfile

Again, the ./ prefix also works.  However, I would like for this to be
handled automatically, kind of like spaces being escaped when completing
a path containing them.  Thanks for responding,

@ 2005-07-05 14:25     ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-07-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi Nikolai:

I don't think this is a completion issue.  In any case, this works:

function vim { command vim ./"$@" }

but you will want to put some lines in there to test whether the file is
in $PWD, and if it is, do the above, otherwise, behave normally.

HTH,

Bill

@ 2005-07-05 15:09     ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-07-05 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi Nikolai:

This expands on my previous reply:

#!/bin/zsh -f
#  newvim

inputfilearray=( "$@" )

LIMIT=$#
for ((i = 1; i <= $LIMIT; i++ )) do
        eval file="\$$i"
        if [[ -f $inputfilearray[i] &&
                   $inputfilearray[i] == "$(basename $inputfilearray[i])" ]]
        then
             inputfilearray[i]="./$inputfilearray[i]"
        else
             :
        fi
done

command vim "$inputfilearray"

There is probably an easier way, but it works.

@ 2005-07-05 15:23     ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-07-05 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: zsh-users

Sorry, the last line should be

@ 2005-07-05 16:56         ` John Reese
From: John Reese @ 2005-07-05 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> I know that the completion system can be made to suit this need.
> Filenames beginning with a = are escaped properly with the right
> settings.

Unfortunately, I'm behind the times, but the following works with the
old completion system.  I'm sure something along the same lines can
done with zstyle and compadd and all that other wackiness.

compctl -f -x 'S[+]' -f -P './' -- vim

That's: for vim, complete filenames, except for arguments starting
with +, for which insert "./" at the beginning and then complete
filenames.  Note that the + already has to be on the command-line; if
you have menu completion on and you type "vim <tab>", filenames
starting with + won't match the above rule and they won't get the ./
prepended.  But "vim +<tab>" does the right thing.

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-05 17:01 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-07-05 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jul 4,  9:37pm, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
} Subject: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
}
} Vim has issues with files that begin with a + (or two +s for that
} matter), so I'd like to add a ./ prefix to such files when completing.

YOu can get most of the way there with this:

zstyle -e ':completion:*:vim:*' fake-files 'reply=("$PWD:$(print ./+*)")'
zstyle ':completion:*:vim:*' matcher 'b:+=./+'

However, all that does is offer the ./+* as alternatives, it doesn't
remove the originals.  The trouble is that file completion is sensitive
to directory separators, so as soon as you introduce the slash, the
rules begin to apply to the stuff on the right of the slash rather
than to the entire string.

You'd be better off if there were some other way to protect the + from
interpretation by vim.

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-05 17:07         ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-07-05 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: zsh-users

> > function vim { command vim ./"$@" }
>
> That will definitely not work.  Specifically it won’t work for multiple
> file arguments (or options for that matter),
>         nikolai

The longer version I sent about an hour ago does (once you correct the
last line as I quickly found).  It tests each element of the input array
and decides if it is a file or not (i.e., is an argument).  Then if that
element of the array is in the $PWD, it appends your fix, otherwise it
leaves it alone.

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-05 17:28       ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-05 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

@ 2005-07-05 19:14   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Jul 4,  9:37pm, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > Vim has issues with files that begin with a + (or two +s for that
> > matter), so I'd like to add a ./ prefix to such files when
> > completing.

> YOu can get most of the way there with this:
>
> zstyle -e ':completion:*:vim:*' fake-files 'reply=("$PWD:$(print ./+*)")'
> zstyle ':completion:*:vim:*' matcher 'b:+=./+'
>
> However, all that does is offer the ./+* as alternatives, it doesn't
> remove the originals.  The trouble is that file completion is
> sensitive to directory separators, so as soon as you introduce the
> slash, the rules begin to apply to the stuff on the right of the slash
> rather than to the entire string.

Yeah, no...that works, but it wasn't great; damn.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions,

@ 2005-07-06  5:00       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-07-06  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> I'm sure something along the same lines can
> done with zstyle and compadd and all that other wackiness.
>
> compctl -f -x 'S[+]' -f -P './' -- vim

I had assumed there was already an _vim completion, but there's not.
So just write one.

_vim() {
  [[ $PREFIX = +* ]] && _files -P './' || _files
}
compdef _vim vim

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-06 11:31         ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-06 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> I had assumed there was already an _vim completion, but there's not.
> So just write one.
>
> _vim() {
>   [[ $PREFIX = +* ]] && _files -P './' || _files
> }
> compdef _vim vim

Ah, that’s great!  I’ll try to find some time today to actually write a
complete _vim completion.  Thanks!,

@ 2005-07-07  2:02           ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-07  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> Ah, that’s great!  I’ll try to find some time today to actually write a
> complete _vim completion.

OK, so it’s sad that I can only find spare time at 2 am, but here it is,
a quite complete Vim completion defintion.  There’s a problem with the
+<n> option, though.  I couldn’t figure out a proper way of escaping the
+ that is the options name (just using \+ doesn’t work).  Anyone have
any brilliant ideas on this, or is this a problem with the _arguments
argument-parser?

Anyway, enjoy,
        nikolai

[-- Attachment #2: _vim --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3360 bytes --]

#compdef vim

_my_files () {
  [[ $PREFIX == +* ]] && _files -P './' $* || _files $*
}

local arguments

arguments=(
  '(   -e -s -d -y)-v[vi mode]'
  '(-v       -d -y)-e[ex mode]'
  '(-v -e -s    -y)-d[diff mode]'
  '(-v -e -s -d   )-y[easy mode]'
  '-R[readonly mode]'
  '-Z[restricted mode]'
  '-m[modifications (writing files) not allowed]'
  '-M[modifications in text not allowed]'
  '-b[binary mode]'
  '-l[lisp mode]'
  '-C[make vim compatible with vi]'
  '-N[do not force compatibility with vi]'
  '-V-[verbosity level]::verbosity:((0\:"do not display any messages"
                                     1\:"display when viminfo file is read or written"
                                     2\:"display sourced files"
                                     5\:"display every searched tag-file"
                                     8\:"display files that trigger autocommands"
                                     9\:"display every triggered autocommand (default)"
                                    12\:"display every executed function"
                                    13\:"report every thrown, caught, finished, or discarded exception"
                                    14\:"display anything pending in a \:finally clause"
                                    15\:"display every executed ex-command"))'
  '-D[debugging mode]'
  '-n[no swap file (memory only)]'
  {-r,-L}'[list swap files and exit or recover from a swap file]::swap file:_my_files -g \*.sw\?'
  '(   -H -F)-A[start in Arabic mode]'
  '(-A    -F)-H[start in Hebrew mode]'
  '(-A -H   )-H[start in Farsi mode]'
  '-T[set terminal type]:::_terminals'
  '-u[use given RC file instead of default .vimrc]::rc file:_files'
  '--noplugin[do not load plugin scripts]'
  '-o-[number of windows to open (default: one for each file)]::window count: '
  '-O-[number of windows to vertically split open (default is one for each file)]::window count: '
#  '\+-[start at given line (default: end of file)]::line number: '
  '*--cmd[execute given command before loading any RC files]:command: '
  '-c[executed given command after loading the first file]:command: '
  '-S[source a session file after loading the first file]:session file:_files'
  '-s[read normal-mode commands from script file]:script file:_files'
  '-w[append all typed commands to given file]:output file:_files'
  '-W[write all typed commands to given file]:output file:_files'
  '-x[edit encrypted files]'
  '-X[do not connect to X server]'
  '--remote[edit given files in a vim server if possible]:*:file:_my_files'
  '--remote-silent[as --remote but without complaining if not possible]:*:file:_my_files'
  '--remote-wait[as --remote but wait for files to have been edited]:*:file:_my_files'
  '--remote-wait-silent[as --remote-wait but without complaining if not possible]:*:file:_my_files'
  '--remote-send[send given keys to vim server if possible]:keys: '
  '--remote-expr[evaluate given expression in a vim server and print result]:expression: '
  '(- *)--serverlist[list available vim servers and exit]'
  '--servername[name of vim server to send to or name of server to become]:server name: '
  '-i[use given viminfo file instead of default .viminfo]:viminfo file:_files'
  '(- *)'{-h,--help}'[print help and exit]'
  '(- *)--version[print version information and exit]'
  '*:file:_my_files'
)

_arguments -S $arguments

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-07  5:40             ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-07-07  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[Aside:  Is it possible for you to convince your mail client not to send
text labeled us-ascii when it contains multi-byte characters (I think
they must be Unicode apostrophes?)  It makes it quite difficult to read.
I've manually edited them back to ' in the excerpt.]

On Jul 7,  4:02am, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
}
} There's a problem with the +<n> option, though. I couldn't figure out
} a proper way of escaping the + that is the options name (just using \+
} doesn't work).

The + is not the option's name.  The name is whatever comes *after* the
initial - or + that introduces the option.  In fact, in this case +<n>
is not really an option at all; really it's a non-option argument that
happens to be allowed to be mixed in among the options.

The most effective way to handle it is to rewrite _my_files:

    _my_files () {
      case $PREFIX in
	(+) _message -e 'start at given line (default: end of file)' ;;
	(+<1->) _message -e 'line number' ;;
      esac
      case $PREFIX in
	(+*) _files -P './' $* ;;
	(*) _files $* ;;
      esac
    }

Another way is to pretend that the number is the option name:

    arguments=(
      +{1..9}-'[start at given line (default: end of file)]::line number: '
    )

I prefer the behavior of the modified _my_files (which, by the way,
should probably be renamed _vim_files if this is going to be added to
the stock completions).

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-07  7:21               ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2005-07-07  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

In the last episode (Jul 07), Bart Schaefer said:
> [Aside:  Is it possible for you to convince your mail client not to send
> text labeled us-ascii when it contains multi-byte characters (I think
> they must be Unicode apostrophes?)  It makes it quite difficult to read.
> I've manually edited them back to ' in the excerpt.]

It looks fine to me; the message was utf-8, the attachment was ascii
(and had no characters that would have forced anything else):

[-- Attachment #1 --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 8bit, Size: 0.7K --]

[-- Attachment #2: _vim --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 3.3K --]

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-07 10:58               ` Nikolai Weibull
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-07 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> [Aside:  Is it possible for you to convince your mail client not to
> send text labeled us-ascii when it contains multi-byte characters (I
> think they must be Unicode apostrophes?)  It makes it quite difficult
> to read.  I've manually edited them back to ' in the excerpt.]

As Dan Nelson points out, it all seems to be in order.  I don't want to
push it back at you, but perhaps your mail client is being fooled by the
mime-type of the second attachment (which was us-ascii).  Anyway, if
this problem persists, I can live without using fancy apostrophes on
this list.

> On Jul 7,  4:02am, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > There's a problem with the +<n> option, though. I couldn't figure out
> > a proper way of escaping the + that is the options name (just using \+
> > doesn't work).

> The + is not the option's name.  The name is whatever comes *after* the
> initial - or + that introduces the option.  In fact, in this case +<n>
> is not really an option at all; really it's a non-option argument that
> happens to be allowed to be mixed in among the options.

OK.

> I prefer the behavior of the modified _my_files (which, by the way,
> should probably be renamed _vim_files if this is going to be added to
> the stock completions).

Done.  I modified the function a bit to handle files named +<n> a bit
better:

_vim_files () {
  if [[ $(echo $PREFIX*(N)) == '' ]]; then
    case $PREFIX in
      (+) _message -e 'start at a given line (default: end of file)' ;;
      (+<1->) _message -e 'line number' ;;
    esac
  fi
  case $PREFIX in
    (+*) _files -P './' $* ;;
    (*) _files $* ;;
  esac
}

This may not be the best solution, though. I kind of hope that there's a
nicer way to test if there are any files having $PREFIX as a prefix.

Thank you for your help,
        nikolai

[-- Attachment #2: _vim --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3511 bytes --]

#compdef vim

[...]

  {-r,-L}'[list swap files and exit or recover from a swap file]::swap file:_vim_files -g \*.sw\?'
[...]
  '--remote[edit given files in a vim server if possible]:*:file:_vim_files'
  '--remote-silent[as --remote but without complaining if not possible]:*:file:_vim_files'
  '--remote-wait[as --remote but wait for files to have been edited]:*:file:_vim_files'
  '--remote-wait-silent[as --remote-wait but without complaining if not possible]:*:file:_vim_files'
  '--remote-send[send given keys to vim server if possible]:keys: '
  '--remote-expr[evaluate given expression in a vim server and print result]:expression: '
  '(- *)--serverlist[list available vim servers and exit]'
  '--servername[name of vim server to send to or name of server to become]:server name: '
  '-i[use given viminfo file instead of default .viminfo]:viminfo file:_files'
  '(- *)'{-h,--help}'[print help and exit]'
  '(- *)--version[print version information and exit]'
  '*:file:_vim_files'
)

_arguments -S $arguments

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-07 11:18                 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-07-07 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Done.  I modified the function a bit to handle files named +<n> a bit
> better:

I've committed _vim in this form.  Ideally any changes to it from now on
ought to be diffs.  Thanks.

The question remains whether this ought to be tied to vi in some cases,
which is often vim in disguise and has a certain amount in common in other
cases.

the system manager.

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-07 11:58                   ` Doug Kearns
From: Doug Kearns @ 2005-07-07 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:18:09PM +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > Done.  I modified the function a bit to handle files named +<n> a bit
> > better:
>
> I've committed _vim in this form.  Ideally any changes to it from now on
> ought to be diffs.  Thanks.
>
> The question remains whether this ought to be tied to vi in some cases,
> which is often vim in disguise and has a certain amount in common in other
> cases.

FWIW, I've got one that parses --version to offer only the appropriate
options etc but it's stuck on another machine I won't have access to for
a few weeks...

Regards,
Doug

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-07 12:11                   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-07 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> The question remains whether this ought to be tied to vi in some cases,
> which is often vim in disguise and has a certain amount in common in other
> cases.

Ah, of course.  There are many commands that can use this actually.
:help ex gives the following list:

ex exim view gvim gex gview rvim rview rgvim rgview evim eview vimdiff gvimdiff

and, as you say, there's usually a vi link as well,

@ 2005-07-07 12:54                     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-07-07 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Ah, of course.  There are many commands that can use this actually.
> :help ex gives the following list:
>
> ex exim view gvim gex gview rvim rview rgvim rgview evim eview vimdiff gvimdi
> ff
>
> and, as you say, there's usually a vi link as well,

This adds the vim-specific versions.  ex and view also come with vi.
I'll wait for someone to decide how to manage these three.

Index: Completion/Unix/Command/_vim
RCS file: /cvsroot/zsh/zsh/Completion/Unix/Command/_vim,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -u -r1.1 _vim
--- Completion/Unix/Command/_vim	7 Jul 2005 11:16:11 -0000	1.1
+++ Completion/Unix/Command/_vim	7 Jul 2005 12:51:01 -0000
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
-#compdef vim
+#compdef vim exim gvim gex gview rvim rview rgvim rgview evim eview vimdiff gvimdiff

 _vim_files () {
   if [[ $(echo $PREFIX*(N)) == '' ]]; then

the system manager.

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-07 14:51                 ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-07-07 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: zsh-users

Does this work?  I sent it a couple of days ago but it seems not to have
appeared on the list.

In any case, it separates the arguments from the filenames, as well as
local files from ones with relative or absolute paths prepended to them,
and only issues ./++foo or the equivalent where needed.

@ 2005-07-07 15:57                   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

William Scott wrote:

> Does this work?  I sent it a couple of days ago but it seems not to have
> appeared on the list.

I've seen it on the list.  I haven't tried it though, as the completion
definition that I've written - with help from Bart - and now posted
works well.  Thanks anyway,

@ 2005-07-07 19:00                       ` Thomas Köhler
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2005-07-07 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > Ah, of course.  There are many commands that can use this actually.
> > :help ex gives the following list:
> >
> > ex exim view gvim gex gview rvim rview rgvim rgview evim eview vimdiff gvimdi
> > ff
> >
> > and, as you say, there's usually a vi link as well,
>
> This adds the vim-specific versions.  ex and view also come with vi.
> I'll wait for someone to decide how to manage these three.
>
> Index: Completion/Unix/Command/_vim
> RCS file: /cvsroot/zsh/zsh/Completion/Unix/Command/_vim,v
> retrieving revision 1.1
> diff -u -r1.1 _vim
> --- Completion/Unix/Command/_vim	7 Jul 2005 11:16:11 -0000	1.1
> +++ Completion/Unix/Command/_vim	7 Jul 2005 12:51:01 -0000
> @@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
> -#compdef vim
> +#compdef vim exim gvim gex gview rvim rview rgvim rgview evim eview vimdiff gvimdiff
>
>  _vim_files () {
>    if [[ $(echo $PREFIX*(N)) == '' ]]; then

This whole discussion reminds me of some stuff that I always
wanted to clean up a bit...
My _vimhelp still depends on $VIM to be set (parsing "vim
--version" output for vim's fallback for $VIM should be no
problem), and removing sed out of the $vimversion calculation
below could maybe also be done. Anyways... for those who think
this might be useful:

----------------------- _vimhelp ---------------------
#compdef vimhelp gvimhelp

local vimversion curcontext="$curcontext" context state line expl ret tagsfile

vimversion=$(vim --version |& head -1 | sed -e 's/VIM - Vi IMproved //' -e 's/ .*//' -e 's/\.//' -e 's/^/vim/')
tagsfile=$VIM/$vimversion/doc/tags

_vimhelp_update_tags() {
  if (( ! $+_vimhelp_tags )); then
    _vimhelp_tags=(
      $(cat $tagsfile | sed -e 's/	.*//')
    )
  fi
}
_vimhelp() {
   _vimhelp_update_tags
   compadd -- $_vimhelp_tags
}

_vimhelp "$@"
---------------------- / .zshrc --------------------

----------------------- _vimhelp ---------------------
vimhelp () { vim -c "help $1" -c on -c "au! VimEnter *" }
gvimhelp () { gvim -c "help $1" -c on -c "au! VimEnter *" }
---------------------- / .zshrc --------------------

I was once thinking like
   vim -c "h<TAB>
=> vim -c "help
=> vim -c "help Z<TAB>
=> vim -c "help ZZ"
but then I just wrote my little vimhelp wrapper which was easier
to do...

Ciao,
Thomas

--

@ 2005-07-08  1:24                 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-07-08  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jul 7, 12:58pm, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
}
} I don't want to push it back at you, but perhaps your mail client is
} being fooled by the mime-type of the second attachment (which was
} us-ascii).

Not much point in discussing this further ... my mail client normally
won't display a body part at all if it doesn't recognize the character
set.  And other messages from you have been just fine ... so I'm not
sure what's going on there.  I've already deleted it, so I can't check
it now.

} Done.  I modified the function a bit to handle files named +<n> a bit
} better:

I'm not sure this is better.  Previously you should have seen the
explanation of 'line number' on the first tab, and then been able to
complete the file name on the second tab.  With your change, you'll
never see the 'line number' message, it'll always complete the file.

But if that's the behavior you wanted, this would be a better way:

    _vim_files () {
      case $PREFIX in
        (+*) _files -P './' $* && return 0 ;;
        (*) _files $* ;;
      esac
      case $PREFIX in
        (+) _message -e 'start at given line (default: end of file)' ;;
        (+<->) _message -e 'line number' ;;
      esac
    }

Oh, one other thing ... having _vim_files embedded in the file named _vim
in that way, causes _vim_files to be redefined as a function every time
the _vim function is *called*.  I should have noticed that before.  See
something like _cvs for an example of defining multiple functions in the
same file.

* Re: Adding a prefix to certain filename completions
@ 2005-07-08 10:12                   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-07-08 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users