zsh-users
* default pipe
@ 2005-07-25 14:57 GoTaR
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: GoTaR @ 2005-07-25 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi!

Is it possible somehow to set default pipe command? E.g.

$ ls | <enter>

to be executed as

$ ls | less <enter>

TIA

--
GoTaR <priv0.onet.pl->gotar>        http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/
                                    http://tccs.sourceforge.net/

* Re: default pipe
@ 2005-07-25 17:28 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-07-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jul 25,  4:57pm, GoTaR wrote:
}
} Is it possible somehow to set default pipe command?

Well, it's possible *somehow* but ...

} $ ls | <enter>

This is syntactically incomplete, so zsh is going to print the PS2
prompt and wait for you to enter another command.  In most cases I
think this is what you'd want.

The only way to subvert this is to hack the accept-line ZLE widget:

function accept-pipe-as-terminator {
   setopt localoptions extendedglob
   if [[ "$BUFFER" = *\|[[:space:]]# ]]
   then
      # in 4.2.x and later, use BUFFER+=less
      BUFFER="$BUFFER less"
   fi
   zle .accept-line
}
zle -N accept-line accept-pipe-as-terminator

* Re: default pipe
@ 2005-07-25 17:29 ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-07-25 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:57:37 +0200,  wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Is it possible somehow to set default pipe command? E.g.
>
>$ ls | <enter>
>
>to be executed as
>
>$ ls | less <enter>
>
>TIA

alias -g L=' | less'

ls L

(dunno if that's what you want!)

--
zzapper
vim -c ":%s%s*%Cyrnfr)fcbafbe[Oenz(Zbbyranne%|:%s)[[()])-)Ig|norm Vg?"

* Re: default pipe
@ 2005-07-25 19:09 ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2005-07-25 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GoTaR; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi GoTaR :)

 * GoTaR <gotar@poczta.onet.pl> dixit:
> Is it possible somehow to set default pipe command? E.g.
>
> $ ls | <enter>
>
> to be executed as
>
> $ ls | less <enter>

    Not exactly what you want, but I have my useless Windoze keys
mapped to that. When I hit my 'menu' key, "| less <enter>" is
automatically entered in the command line. Is very easy if you use
Linux: just add a string to the key you want to do the dirty job and
after that 'bindkey' that string to the command you want to be
automatically entered. That's all.

    If you use Linux and a Windoze keyboard, I can post you the
things you need to add to your keymap and zshenv/zshrc files.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...

* Re: default pipe
@ 2005-07-25 19:23   ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2005-07-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 06:29:41PM +0100, zzapper wrote:
> alias -g L=' | less'

I too have some global aliases for simple pipe commands, but I have
found it a little safer to use a short string of characters that is
more unlikely to ever be a filename than a single capital letter.
I have these that use a leading comma:

alias -g ,e='|egrep' ,f='|fgrep' ,g='|grep'
alias -g ,h='|head'  ,t='|tail'  ,w='|wc'
alias -g ,l='|less'  ,x='|xargs'

I also have a second version of each of those aliases that combines
stderr and stdout into the pipe, such as this one for less:

alias -g ,,l='|&less'

Yes, it does mean you need to type a space before the global alias, but
I always typed a space before a "|" anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

..wayne..

* Re: default pipe
@ 2005-07-25 19:35     ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-07-25 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:23:30 -0700,  wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 06:29:41PM +0100, zzapper wrote:
>> alias -g L=' | less'
>
>I too have some global aliases for simple pipe commands, but I have
>found it a little safer to use a short string of characters that is
>more unlikely to ever be a filename than a single capital letter.
>I have these that use a leading comma:
>
>alias -g ,e='|egrep' ,f='|fgrep' ,g='|grep'
>alias -g ,h='|head'  ,t='|tail'  ,w='|wc'
>alias -g ,l='|less'  ,x='|xargs'
>
>I also have a second version of each of those aliases that combines
>stderr and stdout into the pipe, such as this one for less:
>
>alias -g ,,l='|&less'
>
>Yes, it does mean you need to type a space before the global alias, but
>I always typed a space before a "|" anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

Wayne,
never thought to use a sequence ,x etc good idea. I have a convention to use uppercase for Global
Aliases don't know if that's my idea or is general.

--

@ 2005-07-25 21:41   ` GoTaR
From: GoTaR @ 2005-07-25 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 17:28:14 +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> } $ ls | <enter>
>
> This is syntactically incomplete, so zsh is going to print the PS2
> prompt and wait for you to enter another command.  In most cases I
> think this is what you'd want.

Actually I always finish pipes in a line, so it's never what I want;]

> The only way to subvert this is to hack the accept-line ZLE widget:
[...]
> zle -N accept-line accept-pipe-as-terminator

Works perfect:) Thanks!

--

@ 2005-07-26 13:16       ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2005-07-26 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 2005-07-25 20:35:20 +0100, zzapper wrote:
> never thought to use a sequence ,x etc good idea. I have a
> convention to use uppercase for Global Aliases don't know if that's
> my idea or is general.

Wouldn't a method based on bindkey (to insert some string) be safer?

* Re: default pipe
@ 2005-07-26 13:34         ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2005-07-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

    Hi Vincent :)

 * Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> dixit:
> On 2005-07-25 20:35:20 +0100, zzapper wrote:
> > never thought to use a sequence ,x etc good idea. I have a
> > convention to use uppercase for Global Aliases don't know if that's
> > my idea or is general.
> Wouldn't a method based on bindkey (to insert some string) be safer?

    I don't know if it is safer, but I prefer it. That's the way I
have all my 'special' pipe commands implemented.

@ 2005-07-27 17:35     ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2005-07-27 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Wayne Davison wrote:

> I too have some global aliases for simple pipe commands, but I have
> found it a little safer to use a short string of characters that is
> more unlikely to ever be a filename than a single capital letter.
> I have these that use a leading comma:
>
> alias -g ,e='|egrep' ,f='|fgrep' ,g='|grep'

I tend to prefer bindkey -s instead of global aliases for such
sequences. It has the advantage that it is expanded so you can see what
it is going to do.

Oliver

* Re: default pipe
@ 2005-07-27 18:42       ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2005-07-27 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 07:35:06PM +0200, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> I tend to prefer bindkey -s instead of global aliases for such
> sequences. It has the advantage that it is expanded so you can see
> what it is going to do.

I much prefer the global aliases because they take up less room on the
line, are easier to edit (since they remain short), and I like them
unexpanded in the history.  To each his own.

..wayne..