zsh-users
From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de>
To: pws@csr.com
Cc: zsh-users@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: RFT: Request for a trick :O)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 17:44:28 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

From: Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:41:29 +0100

Hi,

 thanks for all the help ! :)

 I did not need the exact position and byte counts of differing bytes
 at all. I only need a "yes" or "no" whether I have identical file
 (and can delete the doublettes).

 I saw this "broken pipe"-thingy and didnt dare to delete files on the
 base of this...I thought I did something very wrong (I amstill a very
 new zsher ;).

 "Broken pipe" means: different files.

 Ok...if my memory serves me right...the return status of the last
 command in a pipe is the return status of the whole pipe, isn't it ?

 But unfortunately, the cmp is the first command in that construction...

 I think with something like

   function zipcmp ()
   {
	  	cmp <(7z x -so $1 2>/dev/null ) <(7z x -so $2 2>/dev/null )
   }

   if [ ! zipcmp $1 $2 ]
   then
      rm -f $1
   fi

 I mostly would get an empty harddisc.... ;)

 How can I get the return code of cmp, if <( is implemented as a pipe
 ?

 Keep zshing!
 Meino