Hi, On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 10:56:03AM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote: > But the '^M' wasn't visible to me, since vim and Microemacs both > recognized that file as to be "DOS-borne" and switches into DOS-mode > internally. Vim and Microemacs have special modes to display > all non-printable characters and would (as I thought in that moment) > display a stray ^M if switched to that mode. Vim shows the fileformat it used when opening or writing the file: "myscript" [dos] 3L, 21C And you can show and change that setting with ":set fileformat?" and ":set fileformat=unix" BTW: Vim only asumes fileformat=dos if all lines end with CRLF. Greetings Tobi -- GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred My, oh so small, homepage: http://portfolio16.de/ http://www.fli4l.de/ - ISDN- & DSL-Router on one disk! Registered FLI4L-User #00000003