zsh-users
* setopt returns both "interactive and login"
@ 2006-06-26 17:29 Timothy Stone
From: Timothy Stone @ 2006-06-26 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Can my shell be both 'interactive' and 'login' at the same time?

% set | grep -i version
ZSH_VERSION=4.2.3

% uname -a
Darwin colossus 8.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.0: Tue Mar  7
16:58:48 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.70.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
Macintosh powerpc

... otherwise known as Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.6)

[tstone@colossus]~% setopt
autocd
extendedglob
interactive
login
monitor
shinstdin
zle

So... can my shell be both interactive and login. I'm not seeing
anything in my /etc startup files that might be doing this. Maybe
this is something unique to Mac OS X/Darwin builds, or invocations
with the Terminal.app.

Thanks,
Tim

* Re: setopt returns both "interactive and login"
@ 2006-06-26 17:34 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-06-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Timothy Stone wrote:
> Can my shell be both 'interactive' and 'login' at the same time?

Yes, that's the normal case for a login shell.

* Re: setopt returns both "interactive and login"
@ 2006-06-26 17:56   ` Timothy Stone
From: Timothy Stone @ 2006-06-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Peter Stephenson

On Jun 26, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Timothy Stone wrote:
>> Can my shell be both 'interactive' and 'login' at the same time?
>
> Yes, that's the normal case for a login shell.

Hmmm... I'm beginning to understand something is occurring behind the
scenes here... the *NIX /login/ utility.

So, when I open a new terminal window, with /insert favorite terminal
application here/, the /login/ utility is invoked and I get a *login*
shell, this is *interactive*. Following that, I request a new shell
at the command line, barring the /-l/ switch, I get a new, but /
interactive/ shell:

% ssh luser@box
Password:
[luser@box] ~% setopt
interactive
login
[luser@box] ~% zsh
[luser@box] ~% setopt
interactive

Am I on the right path here?

@ 2006-06-26 18:14     ` Michael Hernandez
From: Michael Hernandez @ 2006-06-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jun 26, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Timothy Stone wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Peter Stephenson wrote:
>
>> Timothy Stone wrote:
>>> Can my shell be both 'interactive' and 'login' at the same time?
>>
>> Yes, that's the normal case for a login shell.
>
> Hmmm... I'm beginning to understand something is occurring behind
> the scenes here... the *NIX /login/ utility.
>
> So, when I open a new terminal window, with /insert favorite
> terminal application here/, the /login/ utility is invoked and I
> get a *login* shell, this is *interactive*. Following that, I
> request a new shell at the command line, barring the /-l/ switch, I
> get a new, but /interactive/ shell:
> Am I on the right path here?

If you are talking about a terminal window in X, you will (usually,
YMMV) get an interactive shell always (because it's a shell waiting
for your input at the terminal), but in order to have your terminal
window use a login shell you need to specify that as such. For
example Gnome-terminal or Konsole have check boxes in their settings
you can tick to say you want the shell to be a login, or in xterm
(also mrxvt, and some others) you can add -ls to the xterm command
line to tell it you want a login shell.

The difference between login and interactive shells is not as
noticeable in zsh because of the way zsh handles startup files. Bash,
for example, will only source .profile for login shells and .bashrc
for all interactive shells (and both for shells that are both login
and interactive), but zsh has a very complex (yet very convenient,
depending on how you look at it) way of handling the startup files
which can make the distinction between login and interactive shells
blurry.

One rule that you can keep in mind is that all login shells are going
to be interactive but not all interactive shells are login shells
(and again, the difference is not so important for zsh afaict).

The "user friendly user guide" and the book "From Bash to Z Shell"
both cover this, and are both very helpful (the Bash to Z Shell book
especially, if you want to see comparisons between shells).

Hope this helps!

Mike

* Re: setopt returns both "interactive and login"
@ 2006-06-26 18:15     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-06-26 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Timothy Stone wrote:
> So, when I open a new terminal window, with /insert favorite terminal
> application here/, the /login/ utility is invoked and I get a *login*
> shell, this is *interactive*. Following that, I request a new shell
> at the command line, barring the /-l/ switch, I get a new, but /
> interactive/ shell:
>
> % ssh luser@box
> Password:
> [luser@box] ~% setopt
> interactive
> login
> [luser@box] ~% zsh
> [luser@box] ~% setopt
> interactive
>
> Am I on the right path here?

Yes, this too is standard behaviour.  (Plug:  It's described explicitly
in "From Bash to Z Shell", chapter 5.)

* Re: setopt returns both "interactive and login"
@ 2006-06-26 18:45       ` Danek Duvall
From: Danek Duvall @ 2006-06-26 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hernandez; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 02:14:12PM -0400, Michael Hernandez wrote:

> One rule that you can keep in mind is that all login shells are going to be
> interactive but not all interactive shells are login shells (and again, the
> difference is not so important for zsh afaict).

Not *entirely* true, but generally so: "ssh -T <host>" will give you a
login shell that isn't interactive.  I don't think many people actually do
crazy stuff like that, though.  :)

Danek

* Re: setopt returns both "interactive and login"
@ 2006-06-26 19:03       ` Timothy Stone
From: Timothy Stone @ 2006-06-26 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jun 26, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Michael Hernandez wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Timothy Stone wrote:

>>> Yes, that's the normal case for a login shell.
>>
>> Hmmm... I'm beginning to understand something is occurring behind
>> the scenes here... the *NIX /login/ utility.
>>
>> So, when I open a new terminal window, with /insert favorite
>> terminal application here/, the /login/ utility is invoked and I
>> get a *login* shell, this is *interactive*. Following that, I
>> request a new shell at the command line, barring the /-l/ switch,
>> I get a new, but /interactive/ shell:
>> Am I on the right path here?
>

> The "user friendly user guide" and the book "From Bash to Z Shell"
> both cover this, and are both very helpful (the Bash to Z Shell
> book especially, if you want to see comparisons between shells).

I have the latter, so I may have missed something in the text. I'll
take a peek at the /User Friendly User Guide/ as a supplement.

Peter, just saw your reply. Thanks. (No need to plug the book.
Excellent material!) I'm just trying all of this out in a real world
environment and syncing my mental expectations with the actual
practice of it.

Many thanks!
Tim