zsh-users
* Re: Does zsh have an equivalent to the shopt command ?
       [not found] ` <200607221508.k6MF8W0w002651@pwslaptop.csr.com>
@ 2006-07-24  7:44   ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2006-07-24  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, zsh-users

Peter,

On futher investigation, it appears that it is not actually choking on
that line, rather this code which appears in many of the case option
function calls:

version() { sed -e 's/^    //' <<EndVersion
        TODO.TXT Manager
        Version 1.6.3
        Author:  Gina Trapani (ginatrapani@gmail.com)
        Release date:  5/11/2006
        Last updated:  7/6/2006
        License:  GPL, http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
EndVersion
    exit 1
}

@ 2006-07-24 10:01     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-07-24 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Sean wrote:
> On futher investigation, it appears that it is not actually choking on
> that line, rather this code which appears in many of the case option
> function calls:
>
> version() { sed -e 's/^    //' <<EndVersion
>         TODO.TXT Manager
>         Version 1.6.3
>         Author:  Gina Trapani (ginatrapani@gmail.com)
>         Release date:  5/11/2006
>         Last updated:  7/6/2006
>         License:  GPL, http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
> EndVersion
>     exit 1
> }

Hmmm... again, that should work fine and does on my machine; the
shell isn't asked to do anything much beyond parsing a here document.
When you say "chokes", what do you mean?  Obviously calling the
function will cause the shell to exit, because of the "exit 1" at the
end ; is it failing to print the message, exiting in some odd way,
hanging...?  Or are you saying the options to the parent function (with
the getopts) are such that this function shouldn't be called?  In which
case, what combination of options to that function is causing unexpected
behaviour?  (I could believe getopts behaved differently from bash but I
need to see the command line being passed.)

I'm guessing a lot of the spaces in that function were actually
tabs, but I've put those back and not had any problem.

* Re: Does zsh have an equivalent to the shopt command ?
@ 2006-07-24 11:23       ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2006-07-24 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-users

The message fails to print and the shell hangs !

@ 2006-07-24 11:35         ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2006-07-24 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Sean <schliden@gmail.com> writes:

> The message fails to print and the shell hangs !

Could you post your entire script?

> On 7/24/06, Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com> wrote:
>> Sean wrote:
>> > On futher investigation, it appears that it is not actually choking on
>> > that line, rather this code which appears in many of the case option
>> > function calls:
>> >
>> > version() { sed -e 's/^    //' <<EndVersion
>> >         TODO.TXT Manager
>> >         Version 1.6.3
>> >         Author:  Gina Trapani (ginatrapani@gmail.com)
>> >         Release date:  5/11/2006
>> >         Last updated:  7/6/2006
>> >         License:  GPL, http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>> > EndVersion
>> >     exit 1
>> > }
>>
>> Hmmm... again, that should work fine and does on my machine; the
>> shell isn't asked to do anything much beyond parsing a here document.
>> When you say "chokes", what do you mean?  Obviously calling the
>> function will cause the shell to exit, because of the "exit 1" at the
>> end ; is it failing to print the message, exiting in some odd way,
>> hanging...?  Or are you saying the options to the parent function (with
>> the getopts) are such that this function shouldn't be called?  In which
>> case, what combination of options to that function is causing unexpected
>> behaviour?  (I could believe getopts behaved differently from bash but I
>> need to see the command line being passed.)
>>
>> I'm guessing a lot of the spaces in that function were actually
>> tabs, but I've put those back and not had any problem.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>                  Software Engineer
>> CSR PLC, Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park, Cowley Road
>> Cambridge, CB4 0WZ, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070
>>

>> To access the latest news from CSR copy this link into a web browser:  http://www.csr.com/email_sig.php

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com
 God bless you.

* Re: Does zsh have an equivalent to the shopt command ?
@ 2006-07-24 11:38         ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-07-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Sean wrote:
> The message fails to print and the shell hangs !

I can't reproduce that.  What happens if you run the sed (and its
here-document) from the command line, or by running ". file" on a file
that contains only the sed command?  Could the path to "sed" be wrong?

pws

* Re: Does zsh have an equivalent to the shopt command ?
@ 2006-07-27  3:38           ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2006-07-27  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-users

Sorry for the slow reply... wife's birthdays seems to take preceedence :^)

I can run sed from the command line ok, and all of the other sed stuff
in the script works.

It seems to be something to do with processing these text blocks:

<<EndVersion
EndVersion

<<EndHelp
EndHelp

<<Endusage
EndUsage

I have tried saving these in seperate files and running them but zsh
crashes immeadiately, without outputting a single line.

What does:   -e 's/^    //'  do anyway ?

Perhaps I can work around this with a different approach.

Cheers

Sean

@ 2006-07-27  9:18             ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2006-07-27  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Sean <schliden@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for the slow reply... wife's birthdays seems to take preceedence :^)
>
> I can run sed from the command line ok, and all of the other sed stuff
> in the script works.
>
> It seems to be something to do with processing these text blocks:
>
> <<EndVersion
> EndVersion
>
> <<EndHelp
> EndHelp
>
> <<Endusage
> EndUsage
>
> I have tried saving these in seperate files and running them but zsh
> crashes immeadiately, without outputting a single line.
>
> What does:   -e 's/^    //'  do anyway ?
>
> Perhaps I can work around this with a different approach.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sean

Again, could you post the entire script, from top to bottom?  It will be
easier to help you with this if you do so.

The "-e ..." stuff you mention above strips the leading whitespace out
of the lines within the here document, e.g., between "<<EndVersion" and
"EndVersion".

@ 2006-07-27 10:17             ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-07-27 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Sean wrote:
> I can run sed from the command line ok, and all of the other sed stuff
> in the script works.
>
> It seems to be something to do with processing these text blocks:
>
> <<EndVersion
> EndVersion

I have no idea what could be causing that and it doesn't happen on
anyway of the Cygwin versions I've tried.

Is it still the case that

>I am running the windows port of zsh (ver 3.0.5) supplied with unixkit-tiny.

?  I suspect there might be something wrong with this port.  (3.0.5 is
now rather old, but I still don't remember any problem of this kind
in any version I've seen.)

If you don't mind exploring other avenues, you can change

version() { sed -e 's/^	//' <<EndVersion
	TODO.TXT Manager
	Version 1.6.3
	Author:  Gina Trapani (ginatrapani@gmail.com)
	Release date:  5/11/2006

	Author:  Gina Trapani (ginatrapani@gmail.com)
	Release date:  5/11/2006
	Last updated:  7/6/2006
	License:  GPL, http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
    exit 1
}

This ought to work, since it relies on basic shell parsing rather
than a special chunk of I/O.  Note, however, that it's non-standard.

* Re: Does zsh have an equivalent to the shopt command ?
@ 2006-07-27 15:12               ` john_oshea
From: john_oshea @ 2006-07-27 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Again, could you post the entire script, from top to bottom?  It will be
> easier to help you with this if you do so.

<butting in slightly> The script is one that's been featured on
LifeHacker, and is the todo.sh one from <http://todotxt.com/> - it's
12K, so possibly a bit big for inlining to the list(?)

FWIW, the same script is working fine on my setup (zsh 4.2.3/OSX 10.4.7)

--
John O'Shea, VP Technical Strategy
Wordbank Limited

* Re: Does zsh have an equivalent to the shopt command ?
@ 2006-07-28  0:25               ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2006-07-28  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lloyd Zusman; +Cc: zsh-users

As Lloyd pointed out, the script is a little long to post inline, but
is available here:

http://todotxt.com/download/todo.sh

Peter, I tried your replacement suggestion, but it also (after a long
think) crashed zsh.

I have come up with this brilliant fix:

version()
{
  echo "TODO.TXT Manager
Version 1.7.1
Author:  Gina Trapani (ginatrapani@gmail.com)
Release date:  5/11/2006
Last updated:  7/20/2006

@ 2006-07-22 10:36       ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-07-22 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users, pws

Sean wrote:
> Thanks for the help with setopt.
>
> I am also having a problem with this line in a script:
>
> while getopts ":fhpqvVd:" Option

That should work fine; what's the code in the loop and what problem are
you seeing?

--

@ 2006-07-22  2:16     ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2006-07-22  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thanks for the help with setopt.

I am also having a problem with this line in a script:

while getopts ":fhpqvVd:" Option

again, zsh chokes on this.

TIA

@ 2006-07-20  9:47   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-07-20  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

@ 2006-07-19 18:06 ` Jean-Rene David
From: Jean-Rene David @ 2006-07-19 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

@ 2006-07-19 16:44 Sean
From: Sean @ 2006-07-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

zsh chokes on this line in a script:

shopt -s extglob

Is there an alternative for use in zsh ?

Thanks