Hi, I want to get the output of a command in my prompt (actually, I want the temperature of my cpu in RPS1 if it is superior to a some predifined value). So I have something like : RPS1="%2v" and precmd() { gettemp } with gettemp that gets temperature and puts it in psvar[2] if needed. Today, I've seen in zsh user guide : > Some people make the mistake of using it [precmd function] to set up a > prompt, but there are enough ways of getting varying information into a > fixed prompt string that you shouldn't do that unless you have very odd > things in your prompt. http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/zshguide03.html#l51 But I didn't find a better way to do what I want. Did I miss something, or is my goal something "very odd". thanks arno