zsh-users
* How to display "waiting to complete" dots
@ 2007-06-13 20:53 Ian Langworth
From: Ian Langworth @ 2007-06-13 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I've found that completion on NFS can take a while. Vim has this neat
feature that shows dots while it's waiting to complete a filename, so
I spent some time to figure out how to make that happen with Zsh.

With the following snippet, when you hit Tab, you'll see dots for a
split-second before the completion finishes:

expand-or-complete-with-dots() {
 echo -n "..."
 zle expand-or-complete
 zle redisplay
}
zle -N expand-or-complete-with-dots
bindkey "^I" expand-or-complete-with-dots

I haven't tested this fully, but I love it already.

Extra: If you want your dots to be fire-truck red, instead do echo -n
"\e[31m...\e[0m"

--
Ian Langworth

* Re: How to display "waiting to complete" dots
@ 2007-06-14  9:33 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-06-14  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

"Ian Langworth" wrote:
> With the following snippet, when you hit Tab, you'll see dots for a
> split-second before the completion finishes:

If you have some fairly recent version of the shell, also try

zstyle ":completion:*" show-completer true

To get further information regarding CSR, please visit our Investor Relations page at http://ir.csr.com/csr/about/overview