zsh-users
* zsh configure fails to notice curses missing headers
@ 2007-10-01 16:44 Daniel Qarras
From: Daniel Qarras @ 2007-10-01 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

when compiling zsh from CVS on a Linux system without ncurses-devel
installed configure proceeds all ok but compilations fails with the
error below. After installing ncurses-devel and doing configure && make
compilation finished ok. Shouldn't configure catch this?

make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/zsh/Src'
rm -f zsh
gcc  -s -rdynamic -o zsh main.o  `cat stamp-modobjs`   -ldl -lnsl -lm
-lc
utils.o: In function `gettempname':
utils.c:(.text+0x4106): warning: the use of `mktemp' is dangerous,
better use `mkstemp'
init.o: In function `init_term':
init.c:(.text+0x1195): undefined reference to `tgetent'
init.c:(.text+0x1257): undefined reference to `tgetstr'
init.c:(.text+0x1282): undefined reference to `tgetflag'
init.c:(.text+0x1293): undefined reference to `tgetflag'
init.c:(.text+0x12a4): undefined reference to `tgetnum'
init.c:(.text+0x12b5): undefined reference to `tgetnum'
prompt.o: In function `tsetcap':
prompt.c:(.text+0x4e7): undefined reference to `tputs'
prompt.c:(.text+0x548): undefined reference to `tputs'
prompt.c:(.text+0x5b5): undefined reference to `tputs'
prompt.c:(.text+0x5e5): undefined reference to `tgetnum'
prompt.c:(.text+0x62b): undefined reference to `tgetnum'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [zsh] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/zsh/Src'
make: *** [all] Error 1
zsh: exit 2     make

Thanks.

* Re: zsh configure fails to notice curses missing headers
@ 2007-10-02  9:01 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-10-02  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 09:44:08 -0700 (PDT)
Daniel Qarras <dqarras@yahoo.com> wrote:
> when compiling zsh from CVS on a Linux system without ncurses-devel
> installed configure proceeds all ok but compilations fails with the
> error below. After installing ncurses-devel and doing configure && make
> compilation finished ok. Shouldn't configure catch this?

configure checks for libraries and will see where the termcap/curses stuff
can be found, but won't actually exit if it can't find it.

I would actually like to see this part of configure improved:  there are
various hard-wired search orders for libraries controlled partly by
--with-curses-terminfo and partly by system-specific tests.  However,
--with-curses-terminfo is now basically useless and it would be better to
turn it into a more general argument that gives a library search list.