zsh-users
* ZSH (CVS) configure problem?
@ 2007-10-10 10:14 Helmut Jarausch
From: Helmut Jarausch @ 2007-10-10 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I've tried to build zsh (from CVS) with the "multibyte" configure
option. But in that case, the linker fails because it now needs
-lncursesw -ldl  instead of just -lncurses.
The build without this options ran just fine.

Thanks for ZSH (as ever)

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

* Re: ZSH (CVS) configure problem?
@ 2007-10-10 10:24 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-10-10 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> I've tried to build zsh (from CVS) with the "multibyte" configure
> option. But in that case, the linker fails because it now needs
> -lncursesw -ldl  instead of just -lncurses.
> The build without this options ran just fine.

I don't understand what you're saying; configure doesn't search ncursesw
unless you tell it to.  Do you mean configure is finding ncurses but
linking is failing at some point?  Also, multibyte mode is now handled
automatically if it's avilable:  what options are you changing that cause
it to fail?  Could you say

- what arguments you're passing to configure
- what libraries configure is coming up with
- what error is being produced during building.

Thanks.

* Re: ZSH (CVS) configure problem?
@ 2007-10-11 10:01   ` Helmut Jarausch
From: Helmut Jarausch @ 2007-10-11 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh users list

On 10 Oct, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> I've tried to build zsh (from CVS) with the "multibyte" configure
>> option. But in that case, the linker fails because it now needs
>> -lncursesw -ldl  instead of just -lncurses.
>> The build without this options ran just fine.
>
> I don't understand what you're saying; configure doesn't search ncursesw
> unless you tell it to.  Do you mean configure is finding ncurses but
> linking is failing at some point?  Also, multibyte mode is now handled
> automatically if it's avilable:  what options are you changing that cause
> it to fail?  Could you say
>
> - what arguments you're passing to configure
> - what libraries configure is coming up with
> - what error is being produced during building.

I'm using a GenToo ebuild which amounts to
	econf \
		--bindir=/bin \
		--libdir=/usr/$(get_libdir) \
		--enable-etcdir=/etc/zsh \
		--enable-zshenv=/etc/zsh/zshenv \
		--enable-zlogin=/etc/zsh/zlogin \
		--enable-zlogout=/etc/zsh/zlogout \
		--enable-zprofile=/etc/zsh/zprofile \
		--enable-zshrc=/etc/zsh/zshrc \
		--enable-fndir=/usr/share/zsh/${PV%_*}/functions \
		--enable-site-fndir=/usr/share/zsh/site-functions \
		--enable-function-subdirs \
		--enable-ldflags="${LDFLAGS}" \
		--with-tcsetpgrp \
		--with-curses-terminfo \
		--with-maildir-support \
		--with-pcre \
		--with-cap \
		--with-multibyte

The final link links the library -lncurses and fails because external
references ( I don't remember the 4 names ? add_wch) couldn't be
resolved. Linking to -lncursesw -ldl, instead, was successful.
For the moment I've stepped back to not using --with-multibyte .

Many thanks,
Helmut.

--

@ 2007-10-11 11:26     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-10-11 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> 		--with-multibyte

That's probably --enable-multibyte or it won't have an effect.

> The final link links the library -lncurses and fails because external
> references ( I don't remember the 4 names ? add_wch) couldn't be
> resolved. Linking to -lncursesw -ldl, instead, was successful.
> For the moment I've stepped back to not using --with-multibyte .

This seems to be different from other Linux systems where the
appropriate bits are in ncurses.

It sounds like we need to be searching for ncursesw, a subject that's
come up before a propos of MacOS (and I was asking about at the start of
the week).  Clint thinks in that case we need -I/usr/include/ncursesw,
so it may not be entirely trivial.

The dl library should be picked up later if it's needed, but that won't
work if it's causing linking with ncursesw to fail.

* Re: ZSH (CVS) configure problem?
@ 2007-10-11 18:28       ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2007-10-11 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh users list

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 12:26:45PM +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> the week).  Clint thinks in that case we need -I/usr/include/ncursesw,
> so it may not be entirely trivial.

Clint probably was mistaken, since the headers in /usr/include/ncursesw
include <ncurses/$otherheader>.