zsh-users
* To have cpu frequency or/and battery state percentage in my prompt
@ 2007-10-14 13:26 giggz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: giggz @ 2007-10-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I search ideas to have a good prompt which display the cpu frequency
or/and the battery state in my zsh prompt.

So if you have ideas and examples which I can put in my zshrc...

Thx and Regards,
Guillaume

* Re: To have cpu frequency or/and battery state percentage in my prompt
@ 2007-10-14 16:02 ` Michael Hernandez
From: Michael Hernandez @ 2007-10-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Oct 14, 2007, at 9:26 AM, giggz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I search ideas to have a good prompt which display the cpu frequency
> or/and the battery state in my zsh prompt.
>
> So if you have ideas and examples which I can put in my zshrc...
>
> Thx and Regards,
> Guillaume

What OS are you using? I have a mostly-working combination of scripts
that shows me battery percentage on my mac. Also if you look at the
clint prompt that is shipped with zsh there is some apm stuff in there.

--Mike H

* Re: To have cpu frequency or/and battery state percentage in my prompt
@ 2007-10-14 16:10 ` wgscott
From: wgscott @ 2007-10-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giggz; +Cc: zsh-users

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:26:39 +0200
giggz <giggzounet@gmail.com> wrote:

     Hi,

     I search ideas to have a good prompt which display the cpu frequency
     or/and the battery state in my zsh prompt.

     So if you have ideas and examples which I can put in my zshrc...

     Thx and Regards,
     Guillaume

What's your operating system?  I think this stuff is highly OS-dependent.  On Ubuntu Linux,
for example, I have /proc/acpi

On OSX, system_profiler yields a lot of information but is too sluggish.
system_profiler -detailLevel mini
might be good enough.

* Re: To have cpu frequency or/and battery state percentage in my prompt
@ 2007-10-14 16:46   ` wgscott
From: wgscott @ 2007-10-14 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hernandez; +Cc: zsh-users

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:02:46 -0400
Michael Hernandez <sequethin@gmail.com> wrote:

     On Oct 14, 2007, at 9:26 AM, giggz wrote:

     > Hi,
     >
     > I search ideas to have a good prompt which display the cpu frequency
     > or/and the battery state in my zsh prompt.
     >
     > So if you have ideas and examples which I can put in my zshrc...
     >
     > Thx and Regards,
     > Guillaume

     What OS are you using? I have a mostly-working combination of scripts
     that shows me battery percentage on my mac. Also if you look at the
     clint prompt that is shipped with zsh there is some apm stuff in there.

     --Mike H

I just found this "battery" script of OS X that is even written in zsh!

http://www.mitt-eget.com/software/macosx/battery/battery

* Re: To have cpu frequency or/and battery state percentage in my prompt
@ 2007-10-14 19:15     ` Michael Hernandez
From: Michael Hernandez @ 2007-10-14 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wgscott; +Cc: zsh-users

On Oct 14, 2007, at 12:46 PM, wgscott@chemistry.ucsc.edu wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:02:46 -0400
> Michael Hernandez <sequethin@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>      On Oct 14, 2007, at 9:26 AM, giggz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I search ideas to have a good prompt which display the cpu frequency
>> or/and the battery state in my zsh prompt.
>>
>> So if you have ideas and examples which I can put in my zshrc...
>>
>> Thx and Regards,
>> Guillaume
>>

>      What OS are you using? I have a mostly-working combination of
> scripts
>      that shows me battery percentage on my mac. Also if you look
> at the
>      clint prompt that is shipped with zsh there is some apm stuff
> in there.
>

>      --Mike H
>
> I just found this "battery" script of OS X that is even written in
> zsh!
>
> http://www.mitt-eget.com/software/macosx/battery/battery

Yes I use that with my zsh prompt, I have code to use battery to pull
the percentage and then stick it on the right-hand-prompt. Also have
it change colors from green to yellow to red depending on the
percentage, and show whether or not I am plugged in (AC) or using
battery (DC). For example (hopefully Mail.app doesn't wrap it
horribly...

--INSERT-- :zsh-4.2.5: (Sun 10/14/2007 15:13 EDT)
<Mike@artemis:~>
:p2: %
*AC* (99.8%)

The --INSERT-- is from visual vi mode...

I'm hoping that with leopard things don't change so much that it
breaks my prompt :)

--Mike H

* Re: To have cpu frequency or/and battery state percentage in my prompt
@ 2007-10-14 20:47 ` Atom Smasher
From: Atom Smasher @ 2007-10-14 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, giggz wrote:

> I search ideas to have a good prompt which display the cpu frequency
> or/and the battery state in my zsh prompt.
>
> So if you have ideas and examples which I can put in my zshrc...
=================

i've got this (in colors, depending on battery state and level of charge)
on FreeBSD 6.2 (acpi). if anyone wants details i'll post...

short version: root runs a cron job every minute to get the battery state;
this is written to a file in /tmp; the prompt looks for this file; if it's
there it becomes part of the prompt.

--
         ...atom

  ________________________
  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

* Re: To have cpu frequency or/and battery state percentage in my  prompt
@ 2007-10-14 20:55   ` giggz
From: giggz @ 2007-10-14 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Atom Smasher a écrit :
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, giggz wrote:
>
>> I search ideas to have a good prompt which display the cpu frequency
>> or/and the battery state in my zsh prompt.
>>
>> So if you have ideas and examples which I can put in my zshrc...
> =================
>
> i've got this (in colors, depending on battery state and level of
> charge) on FreeBSD 6.2 (acpi). if anyone wants details i'll post...
>
> short version: root runs a cron job every minute to get the battery
> state; this is written to a file in /tmp; the prompt looks for this
> file; if it's there it becomes part of the prompt.

Yes please :)

Thx a lot

@ 2007-10-14 21:30     ` Atom Smasher
From: Atom Smasher @ 2007-10-14 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, giggz wrote:

>> i've got this (in colors, depending on battery state and level of
>> charge) on FreeBSD 6.2 (acpi). if anyone wants details i'll post...
>>
>> short version: root runs a cron job every minute to get the battery
>> state; this is written to a file in /tmp; the prompt looks for this
>> file; if it's there it becomes part of the prompt.
>>
> Yes please :)
=====================

http://smasher.org/tmp/zshrc-and-battery-stuff.tgz

the shell script is run by root every minute. the overhead is too high to
run it every precmd. if that script is not running (and thus not creating
the /tmp/battery-status file) ie; on my server, the battery status part of
the prompt is gracefully ignored.

the battery stuff is most likely freebsd specific (i haven't tested it on
anything else) but there's a lot of wild-n-crazy stuff in my zshrc that
can be "borrowed" for any system ;)

lemme know how it works out... and if anyone improves on anything there,
please share it...

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

         "The seafood industry is literally plundering the ocean
          of life and some fifty percent of fish caught from the
          oceans is fed to cows, pigs, sheep, chickens etc in the
          form of fish meal. It also takes about fifty fish
          caught from the sea to raise one farm raised salmon."
                 -- Capt Paul Watson, A Very Inconvenient Truth