zsh-users
* Tru64 5.1 and unresolved externals when building modules
@ 2007-11-13  0:02 Thomas Pfau
From: Thomas Pfau @ 2007-11-13  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'm trying to build zsh on Tru64 5.1 but can't seem to get the modules
to build.  I've tried the standard cc, sed, and awk and also the gnu
versions of each with the same results.  For each module it attempts
to build, it displays 'Warning: Unresolved:' followed by a list of
symbols that appear to be from the main zsh executable.  This happens
with both zsh 4.3.2 and 4.3.4.

I have searched the archives and found reports similar problems
several years ago on other operating systems but could not track down
a solution.

Does anyone have a fix for this?  I miss my zsh.

--
tom_p
http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/

* Re: Tru64 5.1 and unresolved externals when building modules
@ 2007-11-13 12:25 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-11-13 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

"Thomas Pfau" wrote:
> I'm trying to build zsh on Tru64 5.1 but can't seem to get the modules
> to build.  I've tried the standard cc, sed, and awk and also the gnu
> versions of each with the same results.  For each module it attempts
> to build, it displays 'Warning: Unresolved:' followed by a list of
> symbols that appear to be from the main zsh executable.  This happens
> with both zsh 4.3.2 and 4.3.4.

I haven't heard this one before, and without access to the system
there's not a lot that can be done.  You could try statically linking
(configure --disable-dynamic), in which case make sure you edit
config.modules to mark any modules you use as statically loaded.

If it's only a few of the symbols from the main executable it might be
they aren't correctly marked for export, however I thought I'd tested
that for 4.3.4 and there shouldn't be more than a few at most in any
case.  I will certainly make sure I test this for 4.3.5.

* Re: Tru64 5.1 and unresolved externals when building modules
@ 2007-11-14  2:15   ` Thomas Pfau
From: Thomas Pfau @ 2007-11-14  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Peter Stephenson

I noticed the 'test' target in the makefile and invoked it.  All test
seem to run successfully so I tried installing it.  It appears to be
working OK.  I just thought something was broken when it complained
about all of those unresolved symbols.

The man page for ld mentions "-expect_unresolved <pattern>" which
turns off the error messages for any unresolved symbols matching the
specified shell pattern.  I added "-expect_unresolved '*'" to
DLLDFLAGS and it builds quietly.

--

@ 2007-11-14  9:54     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-11-14  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:15:00 -0500
"Thomas Pfau" <tfpfau@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed the 'test' target in the makefile and invoked it.  All test
> seem to run successfully so I tried installing it.  It appears to be
> working OK.  I just thought something was broken when it complained
> about all of those unresolved symbols.
>
> The man page for ld mentions "-expect_unresolved <pattern>" which
> turns off the error messages for any unresolved symbols matching the
> specified shell pattern.  I added "-expect_unresolved '*'" to
> DLLDFLAGS and it builds quietly.

Thanks for looking further.  The shell doesn't currently attempt to
sanitize the symbols against shared libraries (when writing code you
sometimes only find there's a problem when a module load fails and
crashes the shell).  So adding the option is probably the right thing to do.
I'm not sure how to test; probably adding it for Tru64 alone would be OK.
It's not clear from config.guess what $host value configure sets, however.
I might get a chance to check tomorrow night.

pws