zsh-users
* Globbing Completion
@ 2007-12-19 23:55 Chris Johnson
From: Chris Johnson @ 2007-12-19 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi, zsh users.  Occasionally I run into the situation where I'd like to
glob all the files that are offered for completion.  The occasion that
just came up, for instance, was with "cvs add".  The zsh completion
function does a great job of suggesting which files would be new to the
cvs repository, but is there a way I can send all these suggestions to
"cvs add" in a glob-like operator?

(I don't know how many times I've assumed that the completion listings
were equivalent to the * glob operator.)

Thanks for any insight!

--
Chris Johnson
cjohnson@cs.utk.edu

* Re: Globbing Completion
@ 2007-12-20  0:24 ` Vadim Zeitlin
From: Vadim Zeitlin @ 2007-12-20  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:55:31 -0500 Chris Johnson <cjohnson@cs.utk.edu> wrote:

CJ> Hi, zsh users.  Occasionally I run into the situation where I'd like to
CJ> glob all the files that are offered for completion.  The occasion that
CJ> just came up, for instance, was with "cvs add".  The zsh completion
CJ> function does a great job of suggesting which files would be new to the
CJ> cvs repository, but is there a way I can send all these suggestions to
CJ> "cvs add" in a glob-like operator?

 Hello,

 I had exactly the same question ~6 months ago and Peter has kindly
provided the answer (which works great for me ever since then), see

	http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user/6902

 Regards,
VZ

* Re: Globbing Completion
@ 2007-12-20 16:18   ` Chris Johnson
From: Chris Johnson @ 2007-12-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Zeitlin; +Cc: zsh-users

Vadim Zeitlin sent me the following 0.7K:

> CJ> Hi, zsh users.  Occasionally I run into the situation where I'd like to
> CJ> glob all the files that are offered for completion.

[...]

>  I had exactly the same question ~6 months ago and Peter has kindly
> provided the answer (which works great for me ever since then), see
>
> 	http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user/6902

Thanks, VZ.  I guess I didn't realize the significance of your post the
first time I saw it.  Per your message and Peter's, this did the trick
to expand the completed filenames:

   $ zle -C all-matches complete-word _generic
   $ bindkey '^Xa' all-matches
   $ zstyle ':completion:all-matches:*' completer _all_matches _complete
   $ zstyle ':completion:all-matches:*' insert true

--
Chris Johnson
cjohnson@cs.utk.edu