zsh-users
* Re: bindkey vi esc / k - beginning of line hatred
@ 2008-10-23  5:55 Jerry Rocteur
From: Jerry Rocteur @ 2008-10-23  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> "Jerry Rocteur" wrote:
>> 1) When I hit esc k to go back in my history, my cursor is at the end of the
>> line.. I hate this and can't live with
>> it, how do I change it so that my cursor is at the beginning of the line so I
>>  can type cw and change the command for
>> example.
>
> bindkey -M vicmd 'k' vi-up-line-or-history

Thanks Peter, it is so good to know!

jro@dhws011: bindkey -M vicmd 'k' vi-up-line-or-history
jro@dhws011: bindkey -M vicmd 'j' vi-up-line-or-history

I'm flabbergasted that

1) Anyone would want to be at the end of a line and
2) That you change the default behaviour of ksh without putting anything in the doc..

But I'm overwhelmed that it works now.

> (already bound to '-', but your fingers don't know that even if you do).

;-)

>> 2) When I hit esc / xyz to search through my history for soemthing, nothing i
>> s echoed to the screen. That is mildly
>> annoying.
>
> You should get a prompt "?" and the letters you type immediately below
> the line.  Do you mean you want incremental search behaviour, with
> matching lines appearing on the command line as you type?  For that you
> need to pick a key and bind history-incremental-search-backward to it,
> for example:
>
> bindkey -M vicmd '^R' history-incremental-search-backward

Nope, when I hit esc nothing happens, I start typing nothing happens, I hit return
and zsh searches my history for
what I typed in the blind.

Thanks again for the above!!!

Regards,

Jerry

* bindkey vi esc / k - beginning of line hatred
@ 2008-10-22 10:32 Jerry Rocteur
From: Jerry Rocteur @ 2008-10-22 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I've searched the archives but I can't find a way to do this.

I'm a complete newbie to zsh, I'm a good candidate for zsh for dummies, and there's a couple of things bugging me that
I'd like to sort out before I really get my teeth into it (I know my way around ksh and bash and vi pretty well
though)

I don't use emacs and I've always have set -o vi in ksh and bash!

echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.2.6
setopt |egrep "vi |emacs"

emacs                 off
vi                    on

1) When I hit esc k to go back in my history, my cursor is at the end of the line.. I hate this and can't live with
it, how do I change it so that my cursor is at the beginning of the line so I can type cw and change the command for
example.

2) When I hit esc / xyz to search through my history for soemthing, nothing is echoed to the screen. That is mildly
annoying.

I've looked at the zshzle and the different bindkeys but it seems to be such a long learning curve when all I want is
two things, I'll read through the manuals later.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry