zsh-users
* WinZsh (native Windows port of zsh) resurrected
@ 2010-01-30  2:03 Tim Ayres
From: Tim Ayres @ 2010-01-30  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I would like to announce that the old native Windows port of zsh by Amol
Deshpande has been resurrected, relicensed under the 3-clause BSD
license, and given a new home on Sourceforge.net. You can find it at
[1]. Please try it out and report any bugs you find on the Sourceforge
trackers.

If you are interested in helping with development please feel free to
contact me.  I am a fairly novice C programmer, but trying to learn
quickly, and any assistance is welcome. The biggest priority right now
is getting the code to compile under a modern compiler, preferably MinGW.

I'm not sure who maintains the FAQ, but it would be great if it could be
updated with the new location of WinZsh. Also, I noted that the FAQ
version on Sourceforge [2] is out of date compared with the version
currently distributed with zsh.

Thanks,
Tim Ayres

[1] http://zsh-nt.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://zsh.sourceforge.net/FAQ/

* Re: WinZsh (native Windows port of zsh) resurrected
@ 2010-01-30 12:23 ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2010-01-30 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

hello Tim,

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:03:42PM -0600, Tim Ayres wrote:
> I would like to announce that the old native Windows port of zsh by Amol
> Deshpande has been resurrected, relicensed under the 3-clause BSD
> license, and given a new home on Sourceforge.net. You can find it at
> [1]. Please try it out and report any bugs you find on the Sourceforge
> trackers.

I use to have a daily use of the amol's port of zsh then tcsh on
windows. GNU tools were provided by

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

I gave up because gnuwin32 tools was damn slow. cygwin's zsh and tools
were astonishing faster didn't provide a nice enougth integration to
windows (cygpath is borring too borring for daily use!).

I played with monad (became powershell) which provides a much superior
scripting language but comes with no decent edition system.

I didn't use windows for years now but i'm curious and plan to try
reactos if i would have spare time so my question is: how do you plan to
use zsh? which what tools ? would your port provides vi keybindings ?

regards

* Re: WinZsh (native Windows port of zsh) resurrected
@ 2010-01-30 19:16   ` Tim Ayres
From: Tim Ayres @ 2010-01-30 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Chantreux; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi Marc,

I currently use GnuWin32 as well, if only because I am not aware of
another currently maintained source of Unix tools. I haven't done speed
tests between the GnuWin32 tools and Cygwin, but the GnuWin32 tools are
plenty fast for me. I don't think I would choose shell scripting for an
application where speed was a priority anyway ;). GnuWin32 provides most
of the tools a Unix user needs to feel productive, but a Bourne
compatible shell is a glaring omission.

I'm one of those people who use Linux at home, but am forced to use
Windows at work. I use WinZsh the same way I use bash/zsh on Linux, both
as an interactive environment and to write shell scripts. As time goes
on I'm accumulating a collection of useful shell scripts and becoming a
better shell programmer. Many of these scripts would be useful on
Windows as well, however I have no desire to try to rewrite them as Dos
batch files (if it would even be possible). Powershell may be cool, but
it's a new language to learn and it's still Windows only so that's a
deal breaker right there. WinZsh lets me run my shell scripts unmodified
on Windows, which is pretty cool. Nowadays I even write & test bash/zsh
scripts on Windows and then run them on my Linux box at home.

I've used Amol's old port for years, and it disappointed me that it was
unmaintained and was becoming increasingly difficult to find, and seemed
in danger of disappearing entirely. So eventually I decided to just take
up maintenance myself, that's the fun of open source right?
> would your port provides vi keybindings ?

The eventual goal is to provide all the features of zsh on Unix.

Cheers,
Tim

* Re: WinZsh (native Windows port of zsh) resurrected
@ 2010-01-30 21:29     ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2010-01-30 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

hello Tim and thanks for replying.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 01:16:26PM -0600, Tim Ayres wrote:
>> would your port provides vi keybindings ?
> The eventual goal is to provide all the features of zsh on Unix.

so i wish long live to your project i would use if i came to a
windows-like os again.

regards
mc

* Re: WinZsh (native Windows port of zsh) resurrected
@ 2010-02-15 13:41 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2010-02-15 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:03:42 -0600
Tim Ayres <timothy.j.ayres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I noted that the FAQ
> version on Sourceforge [2] is out of date compared with the version
> currently distributed with zsh.

I've finally fixed this.  If someone wants to maintain the web pages, all
they need is a Sourceforge account.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited