zsh-users
* should a cp copied file retain original permissions?
@ 2010-03-11 15:08 zzapper
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: zzapper @ 2010-03-11 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi
zsh on cygwin on windows7

I frequently find that a file created by a copy (cp) has lost its permissions
such that I need to chmod it to be able to edit it etc; sometimes requiring
opening cygwin as windows administrator.

Is this normal?

--
zzapper
http://zzapper.co.uk/ Technical Tips

* Re: should a cp copied file retain original permissions?
@ 2010-03-11 15:26 ` Darryl Zurn
From: Darryl Zurn @ 2010-03-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

Try cp --preserve

Darryl

@ 2010-03-11 16:17 ` Sebastian Stark
From: Sebastian Stark @ 2010-03-11 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

Am 11.03.2010 um 16:08 schrieb zzapper:

> Hi
> zsh on cygwin on windows7
>

> I frequently find that a file created by a copy (cp) has lost its permissions
> such that I need to chmod it to be able to edit it etc

yes, that's expected. Usually you use -p (standard) or -a (GNU) which does a bit more.

* Re: should a cp copied file retain original permissions?
@ 2010-03-11 18:41 ` Joke de Buhr
From: Joke de Buhr @ 2010-03-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users