zsh-users
* "Once-a-day" long delay before startup
@ 2011-08-14 14:57 gi1242+zsh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: gi1242+zsh @ 2011-08-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi All,

I notice that about every so often (at least once a day) when I open a
new shell, my hard disk spins for 15 secs or so before zsh starts. Of
course, most of the time it starts instantly.

Would anyone know what the problem is? I'm guessing it's from
reading/recreating the completion cache. However given that I've not
made changes to the completion system in a few months, I'm not sure why
I have the once-a-day performance penalty. One thing that might
contribute is that I usually run a nightly system update
(Debian/testing). However my performance penalty appears at random
times, seeming uncorrelated to when I run a system update.

Thanks,

GI

PS: Posted to zsh-users. Don't know if workers is more appropriate.

--
What's the difference between Michael Jackson and Casper?
One is pale and scares kids and the other is a friendly ghost.