zsh-users
* Completed filenames quoted instead of escaped?
@ 2011-10-22 17:25 Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2011-10-22 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I would like completed and expanded filenames to generally "be quoted"
instead\ of\ escaped. Would that be possible? If find that more readable.

* Re: Completed filenames quoted instead of escaped?
@ 2011-10-23 16:39 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2011-10-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:25:43 +0000 (UTC)
Daniel <quite@hack.org> wrote:
> I would like completed and expanded filenames to generally "be quoted"
> instead\ of\ escaped. Would that be possible? If find that more readable.

If you type " before a filename, it will be completed in double quotes
and (when possible) another " added at the end.  It's not possible to
configure it to add a double quote in front only when needed.  As things
stand at the moment, it's extremely unlikely it ever will be.

--
Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>

* Re: Completed filenames quoted instead of escaped?
@ 2011-10-24 16:40   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2011-10-24 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Oct 23,  5:39pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Completed filenames quoted instead of escaped?
}
} Daniel <quite@hack.org> wrote:
} > I would like completed and expanded filenames to generally "be quoted"
} > instead\ of\ escaped. Would that be possible? If find that more readable.
}
} If you type " before a filename, it will be completed in double quotes
} and (when possible) another " added at the end.  It's not possible to
} configure it to add a double quote in front only when needed.

I seem to recall writing a widget that would insert a quote, then do
completion, and then if nothing changed remove the quote again.  Oh,
yes:

    Functions/Zle/quote-and-complete-word

Search the zsh-users archives for "completion;quote" and you should
find a couple of threads from 2010 discussing this.