zsh-users
* Correct way to set environment
@ 2012-12-15 13:29 Florian Lindner
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Florian Lindner @ 2012-12-15 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled about the way to set global environment variables.

I've ushed .zshenv for that purpose since it is sourced on every shell
invocation.

florian@horus ~ % cat .zshenv
PATH=$HOME/flof/src:$HOME/software/bin:$PATH
PATH=/home/florian/software/src/boar:$PATH

PYTHONPATH=$HOME/flof/src:$PYTHONPATH

No other relevant z-files are present. This works as far as it sets
the PYTHONPATH variable but if I launch python it is not taken into
account. When I use export PYTHONPATH, the pythonpath gets longer and
longer if I invoke a zsh session within a zsh session.

What is the best way to set some environment variables, no matter how
(login, interactive, ...) the shell is invoced?

Thanks,

Florian