Hi, Jesper Nygårds wrote: > > Say I have a string containing a directory name. I know I can use the :a > modifier to turn the string into the absolute path, but this does not seem > to work with named directories, and if I read the documentation correctly, > it's not supposed to. I wonder how I can go about resolving the string if > it is a named directory. > > Here's an example of what I mean: > % pwd > /c/Program/Java > % ls > jdk16 jdk17 jre6 jre7 > % mydir="jre6" > % print ${mydir:a} > /c/Program/Java/jre6 # Expexted > % pr=~/projects > % mydir="~pr" > % print ${mydir:a} > /c/Program/Java/~pr # What I wanted was "/home/jesper/projects" > > So, in the above example, is there a way to make $mydir resolve to the > absolute path of the named directory ~pr, without using an external program? I expect what you want is not % pr=~/projects % mydir="~pr" but % pr=~/projects % mydir="$pr" instead. Or you might want % mydir=~/projects % print ${mydir:a} Ciao, Thomas -- Thomas Köhler Email: jean-luc@picard.franken.de <>< WWW: http://gott-gehabt.de IRC: tkoehler Freenode: thkoehler PGP public key available from Homepage!