zsh-users
* Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 16:45 Brent Briggs
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Brent Briggs @ 2013-10-22 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello Zsh masters,

I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my attempt. Where am I going wrong?

pattern=git*
for entry in $path
do
    # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
    print $entry/$pattern
done

Expected/Desired Output:
------------------------
/opt/local/bin/git
/opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
/opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
/opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
/opt/local/bin/git-shell
/opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
/opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
/opt/local/bin/gitk
/usr/bin/git
/usr/bin/git-cvsserver
/usr/bin/git-receive-pack
/usr/bin/git-shell
/usr/bin/git-upload-archive
/usr/bin/git-upload-pack

Actual Output:
-------------------
/opt/local/bin/git*
/opt/local/sbin/git*
/opt/local/bin/git*
/opt/local/sbin/git*
/usr/bin/git*
/bin/git*
/usr/sbin/git*
/sbin/git*
/usr/local/bin/git*
/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin/git*
/Users/brent/bin/git*
/Users/brent/bin/git*

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 16:58 ` Jérémie Roquet
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2013-10-22 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Briggs; +Cc: Zsh Users

Hi,

2013/10/22 Brent Briggs <brent.briggs@gmail.com>:
> I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my attempt. Where am I going wrong?
>
> pattern=git*
> for entry in $path
> do
>     # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>     print $entry/$pattern
> done

Filename expansion is not done when patterns are stored in variables.
You have to force it using the $~var syntax.

Try this:
  print $entry/$~pattern

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 16:59 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2013-10-22 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Briggs, zsh-users

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 12:45:48 -0400
Brent Briggs <brent.briggs@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an
> array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my
> attempt. Where am I going wrong?

I'm sure someone will beat me to it...

> pattern=git*

It's not the source of the problem, but it's generally safer to quote
literal patterns if you don't want them expanded at that point.
Actually, you can't get a glob here unless you have the GLOB_ASSIGN
option set.

> for entry in $path
> do
>     # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>     print $entry/$pattern
> done

$pattern is the literal string "git*" in zsh and doesn't get expanded
further.

If you like the way other shells work, use (globally)

  setopt globsubst

However, most of us find it a pain having to remember to quote variables
every time we we want them to be substituted literally (which most other
languages would do automatically).

The zsh-specific way to tell it you want pattern characters to be
special is:

  print $entry/${~pattern}

pws

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 17:05 ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2013-10-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Briggs; +Cc: zsh-users

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 12:45 -0400, Brent Briggs wrote:

> I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an
> array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my
> attempt. Where am I going wrong?

Globs are not ran after variable substitution by default.
To run filename generation (aka globs) after variable substitution, use
$~var.

Your example:

> pattern=git*
> for entry in $path
> do
>     # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>     print $entry/$pattern
> done

Can be rewritten as:

        pattern=git*
        for entry in $path
        do
            # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
            print $entry/$~pattern
        done

It can be simplified further as:

        pattern=git*
        print $path/$~pattern

Phil.

* Re: Glob problem
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-10-22 17:11 ` Matt Garriott
From: Matt Garriott @ 2013-10-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Briggs; +Cc: zsh-users

By default Zsh does not expand glob patterns in variables when using
parameter expansion. You can change this behavior using the GLOB_SUBST
option. Add the following line to the top of your script, and it should
work like you expect.

  setopt GLOB_SUBST

For more info check out GLOB_SUBST in `man zshoptions`

-Matt

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:45:48PM -0400, Brent Briggs wrote:
> Hello Zsh masters,
>
> I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my attempt. Where am I going wrong?
>
> pattern=git*
> for entry in $path
> do
>     # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>     print $entry/$pattern
> done
>
> Expected/Desired Output:
> ------------------------
> /opt/local/bin/git
> /opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
> /opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
> /opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
> /opt/local/bin/git-shell
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
> /opt/local/bin/gitk
> /usr/bin/git
> /usr/bin/git-cvsserver
> /usr/bin/git-receive-pack
> /usr/bin/git-shell
> /usr/bin/git-upload-archive
> /usr/bin/git-upload-pack
>
> Actual Output:
> -------------------
> /opt/local/bin/git*
> /opt/local/sbin/git*
> /opt/local/bin/git*
> /opt/local/sbin/git*
> /usr/bin/git*
> /bin/git*
> /usr/sbin/git*
> /sbin/git*
> /usr/local/bin/git*
> /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin/git*
> /Users/brent/bin/git*
> /Users/brent/bin/git*

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 18:02   ` Brent Briggs
From: Brent Briggs @ 2013-10-22 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Troin; +Cc: zsh-users

Thanks for all the responses. The glob is now being generated properly. However, I am still having a problem getting my loop to run completely through.

pattern=git*
for entry in $path
do
    print -l $entry/$~pattern
done

Output:
----------
/opt/local/bin/git
/opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
/opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
/opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
/opt/local/bin/git-shell
/opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
/opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
/opt/local/bin/gitk
zsh: no matches found: /opt/local/sbin/git*

/opt/local/sbin/ being the second entry in my path.

Also tried:

print -l $path/$~pattern

Output:
----------
zsh: no matches found: /Users/brent/bin/git*

/Users/brent/bin/ being the last entry in my path.

Looks like I need to use a conditional to test if any pattern matches exist, per directory, before trying to print them. I wasn't able to find a solution in the manual that facilitates testing for the existence of pattern matches. I would like to solve this problem using only globbing if possible. I am probably missing something simple.

On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 12:45 -0400, Brent Briggs wrote:
>
>> I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an
>> array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my
>> attempt. Where am I going wrong?
>
> Globs are not ran after variable substitution by default.
> To run filename generation (aka globs) after variable substitution, use
> $~var.
>
> Your example:
>
>> pattern=git*
>> for entry in $path
>> do
>>    # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>>    print $entry/$pattern
>> done
>
> Can be rewritten as:
>
>        pattern=git*
>        for entry in $path
>        do
>            # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>            print $entry/$~pattern
>        done
>
> It can be simplified further as:
>
>        pattern=git*
>        print $path/$~pattern
>
> Phil.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 18:12     ` Peter Miller
From: Peter Miller @ 2013-10-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Briggs; +Cc: zsh-users

On 10/22/13 14:02, Brent Briggs wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses. The glob is now being generated properly. However, I am still having a problem getting my loop to run completely through.
>
> pattern=git*
> for entry in $path
> do
>      print -l $entry/$~pattern
> done
>
> Output:
> ----------
> /opt/local/bin/git
> /opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
> /opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
> /opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
> /opt/local/bin/git-shell
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
> /opt/local/bin/gitk
> zsh: no matches found: /opt/local/sbin/git*
>
> /opt/local/sbin/ being the second entry in my path.
>

> Also tried:
>
> print -l $path/$~pattern

try

pattern=git*(N)
print -l $path/$~pattern

that will tell zsh to ignore globs that don't have any matches.

> Output:
> ----------
> zsh: no matches found: /Users/brent/bin/git*
>
> /Users/brent/bin/ being the last entry in my path.
>
> Looks like I need to use a conditional to test if any pattern matches exist, per directory, before trying to print them. I wasn't able to find a solution in the manual that facilitates testing for the existence of pattern matches. I would like to solve this problem using only globbing if possible. I am probably missing something simple.
>

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Philippe Troin<phil@fifi.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 12:45 -0400, Brent Briggs wrote:
>>
>>> I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an
>>> array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my
>>> attempt. Where am I going wrong?
>> Globs are not ran after variable substitution by default.
>> To run filename generation (aka globs) after variable substitution, use
>> $~var.
>>
>> Your example:
>>
>>> pattern=git*
>>> for entry in $path
>>> do
>>>     # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>>>     print $entry/$pattern
>>> done
>> Can be rewritten as:
>>
>>         pattern=git*
>>         for entry in $path
>>         do
>>             # Print all files in the path that match the pattern.
>>             print $entry/$~pattern
>>         done
>>
>> It can be simplified further as:
>>
>>         pattern=git*
>>         print $path/$~pattern
>>
>> Phil.

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 18:49       ` Brent Briggs
From: Brent Briggs @ 2013-10-22 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Miller; +Cc: zsh-users

Adding the (N) Glob Qualifier made a difference but is I'm still not quite there yet.

pattern=git*(N)
print -l $path/$~pattern

Output:
----------
/opt/local/bin
/opt/local/sbin
/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin

This is my full path listing minus the final entry /Users/brent/bin. I know this is a bit of an incidental question but why is the final path entry missing from this output?

Trying this gets me a little closer.

pattern=git*(N)
for entry in $path
do
	print -l $entry/$~pattern
done

Output:
----------
/opt/local/bin/git
/opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
/opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
/opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
/opt/local/bin/git-shell
/opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
/opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
/opt/local/bin/gitk
-- blank --
/usr/bin/git
/usr/bin/git-cvsserver
/usr/bin/git-receive-pack
/usr/bin/git-shell
/usr/bin/git-upload-archive
/usr/bin/git-upload-pack
-- blank --
-- blank --
-- blank --
-- blank --
-- blank --

Blank lines are printed for the directories that contain no pattern matches. Any quick way to get rid of these?

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 19:30         ` Peter Miller
From: Peter Miller @ 2013-10-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Briggs; +Cc: zsh-users

On 10/22/13 14:49, Brent Briggs wrote:
> Adding the (N) Glob Qualifier made a difference but is I'm still not quite there yet.
>
> pattern=git*(N)
> print -l $path/$~pattern
>
> Output:
> ----------
> /opt/local/bin
> /opt/local/sbin
> /usr/bin
> /bin
> /usr/sbin
> /sbin
> /usr/local/bin
> /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin
>
> This is my full path listing minus the final entry /Users/brent/bin. I know this is a bit of an incidental question but why is the final path entry missing from this output?
>
> Trying this gets me a little closer.
>
> pattern=git*(N)
> for entry in $path
> do
> 	print -l $entry/$~pattern
> done
>
> Output:
> ----------
> /opt/local/bin/git
> /opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
> /opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
> /opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
> /opt/local/bin/git-shell
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
> /opt/local/bin/gitk
> -- blank --
> /usr/bin/git
> /usr/bin/git-cvsserver
> /usr/bin/git-receive-pack
> /usr/bin/git-shell
> /usr/bin/git-upload-archive
> /usr/bin/git-upload-pack
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
>
> Blank lines are printed for the directories that contain no pattern matches. Any quick way to get rid of these?

I'm sure there is a better way, but this should work:

v=(); for entry in $path; do v+=($entry/$~pattern); done; print -l $v

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Peter Miller<peter.d.miller@oracle.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 10/22/13 14:02, Brent Briggs wrote:
>>> Thanks for all the responses. The glob is now being generated properly. However, I am still having a problem getting my loop to run completely through.
>>>
>>> pattern=git*
>>> for entry in $path
>>> do
>>>      print -l $entry/$~pattern
>>> done
>>>
>>> Output:
>>> ----------
>>> /opt/local/bin/git
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-shell
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
>>> /opt/local/bin/gitk
>>> zsh: no matches found: /opt/local/sbin/git*
>>>
>>> /opt/local/sbin/ being the second entry in my path.
>>>

>>> Also tried:
>>>
>>> print -l $path/$~pattern
>> try
>>
>> pattern=git*(N)
>> print -l $path/$~pattern
>>
>> that will tell zsh to ignore globs that don't have any matches.
>>
>>> Output:
>>> ----------
>>> zsh: no matches found: /Users/brent/bin/git*
>>>
>>> /Users/brent/bin/ being the last entry in my path.
>>>
>>> Looks like I need to use a conditional to test if any pattern matches exist, per directory, before trying to print them. I wasn't able to find a solution in the manual that facilitates testing for the existence of pattern matches. I would like to solve this problem using only globbing if possible. I am probably missing something simple.

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-22 20:11         ` Yuya Amemiya
From: Yuya Amemiya @ 2013-10-22 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brent.briggs; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi,

> print -l $path/$~pattern

Try this:
  print -l -- ${^path}/${~pattern}

regards

From: Brent Briggs <brent.briggs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Glob problem
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:49:13 -0400

> Adding the (N) Glob Qualifier made a difference but is I'm still not quite there yet.
>
> pattern=git*(N)
> print -l $path/$~pattern
>
> Output:
> ----------
> /opt/local/bin
> /opt/local/sbin
> /usr/bin
> /bin
> /usr/sbin
> /sbin
> /usr/local/bin
> /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin
>
> This is my full path listing minus the final entry /Users/brent/bin. I know this is a bit of an incidental question but why is the final path entry missing from this output?
>
> Trying this gets me a little closer.
>
> pattern=git*(N)
> for entry in $path
> do
> 	print -l $entry/$~pattern
> done
>
> Output:
> ----------
> /opt/local/bin/git
> /opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
> /opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
> /opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
> /opt/local/bin/git-shell
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
> /opt/local/bin/gitk
> -- blank --
> /usr/bin/git
> /usr/bin/git-cvsserver
> /usr/bin/git-receive-pack
> /usr/bin/git-shell
> /usr/bin/git-upload-archive
> /usr/bin/git-upload-pack
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
> -- blank --
>
> Blank lines are printed for the directories that contain no pattern matches. Any quick way to get rid of these?
>
> On Oct 22, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Peter Miller <peter.d.miller@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/22/13 14:02, Brent Briggs wrote:
>>> Thanks for all the responses. The glob is now being generated properly. However, I am still having a problem getting my loop to run completely through.
>>>
>>> pattern=git*
>>> for entry in $path
>>> do
>>>     print -l $entry/$~pattern
>>> done
>>>
>>> Output:
>>> ----------
>>> /opt/local/bin/git
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-shell
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive
>>> /opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack
>>> /opt/local/bin/gitk
>>> zsh: no matches found: /opt/local/sbin/git*
>>>
>>> /opt/local/sbin/ being the second entry in my path.
>>>

>>> Also tried:
>>>
>>> print -l $path/$~pattern
>>
>> try
>>
>> pattern=git*(N)
>> print -l $path/$~pattern
>>
>> that will tell zsh to ignore globs that don't have any matches.
>>

>>> Output:
>>> ----------
>>> zsh: no matches found: /Users/brent/bin/git*
>>>
>>> /Users/brent/bin/ being the last entry in my path.
>>>
>>> Looks like I need to use a conditional to test if any pattern matches exist, per directory, before trying to print them. I wasn't able to find a solution in the manual that facilitates testing for the existence of pattern matches. I would like to solve this problem using only globbing if possible. I am probably missing something simple.

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-23 12:27           ` Brent Briggs
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Brent Briggs @ 2013-10-23 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

This did the job. I still have one question. I can't find any documentation for the "--" option. What does it do exactly?

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-23 12:37             ` Jérémie Roquet
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2013-10-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Briggs; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi,

2013/10/23 Brent Briggs <brent.briggs@gmail.com>:
> This did the job. I still have one question. I can't find any documentation for the "--" option. What does it do exactly?

Many programs handle this as a flag that says that subsequent
parameters on the command line starting with a dash (“-”) are not
options (while, in general, parameters starting with a dash are
options).

For example:
  rm -f # call rm with the “-f” option
  rm -- -f # call rm on the “-f” file

This is not zsh-specific.

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-23 13:47             ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2013-10-23 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:27:22 -0400
Brent Briggs <brent.briggs@gmail.com> wrote:
> This did the job. I still have one question. I can't find any
> documentation for the "--" option. What does it do exactly?

It's documented for shell invocation in the zsh manual page, but I don't
see anything about option handling for builtins.  There probably should
be something.  Some of the regulars can tell me if the following looks
right.

diff --git a/Doc/Zsh/builtins.yo b/Doc/Zsh/builtins.yo
index 1d9fe68..e9fc7bf 100644
--- a/Doc/Zsh/builtins.yo
+++ b/Doc/Zsh/builtins.yo
@@ -28,6 +28,33 @@ See ifzman(the section `Zle Builtins' in zmanref(zshzle))\
 ifnzman(noderef(Zle Builtins)).
 )\
 )\
+
+Some shell builtin commands take options as given in invidiual entries.
+Typically options are single letters preceded by a hyphen (tt(-)).
+Options that take an argument accept it either immediately following the
+option letter or after white space, for example `tt(print -C3 *)' or
+`tt(print -C 3 *)' are equivalent.  Arguments to options are not the
+same as arguments to the command; the documentation indicates which is
+which.  Options that do not take an argument may be combined in a single
+word, for example `tt(print -ca *)' and `tt(print -c -a *)' are
+equivalent.
+
+Some shell builtin commands also take options that begin with `tt(+)'
+instead of `tt(-)'.  These commands are indicated in the list below.
+
+Options must appear in a group before any non-option arguments;
+once the first non-option argument has been found, option processing is
+terminated.
+
+All builtin commands other than precommand modifiers, even those that
+have no options, can be given the argument `tt(--)' to terminate option
+processing.  This indicates that the following words are non-option
+arguments, but is otherwise ignored.  This is useful in cases where
+arguments to the command may begin with `tt(-)'.  For historical
+reasons, most builtin commands also recognize a single `tt(-)' in a
+separate word for this purpose; note that this is less standard and
+use of `tt(--) is recommended.
+
 startitem()
 prefix(-)
 findex(.)

pws

* Re: Glob problem
@ 2013-10-23 14:29             ` Yuya Amemiya
From: Yuya Amemiya @ 2013-10-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brent.briggs; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi,

> This did the job. I still have one question. I can't find any documentation for the "--" option. What does it do exactly?
"--" is not a option.
This separates options and normal arguments to give arguments starting with "-".

The more important point is ${^path}.
This turns on RC_EXPAND_PARAM option for evaluation of path.

${^path}/${~pattern} is substituted with /opt/local/bin/git*(N) /opt/local/sbin/git*(N) ...
and result of substitution is interpreted as pattern for filename generation.

regards,

From: Brent Briggs <brent.briggs@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:27:22 -0400

> This did the job. I still have one question. I can't find any documentation for the "--" option. What does it do exactly?
>

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Yuya Amemiya <ghostrevery@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> print -l $path/$~pattern
>>
>> Try this:
>>  print -l -- ${^path}/${~pattern}
>>
>> regards
>>
>> From: Brent Briggs <brent.briggs@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: Glob problem
>> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:49:13 -0400
>>
>>> Adding the (N) Glob Qualifier made a difference but is I'm still not quite there yet.
>>>
>>> pattern=git*(N)
>>> print -l $path/$~pattern
>>>
>>> Output:
>>> ----------
>>> /opt/local/bin
>>> /opt/local/sbin
>>> /usr/bin
>>> /bin
>>> /usr/sbin
>>> /sbin
>>> /usr/local/bin
>>> /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin
>>>
>>> This is my full path listing minus the final entry /Users/brent/bin. I know this is a bit of an incidental question but why is the final path entry missing from this output?
>>>
>>> Trying this gets me a little closer.
>>>
>>> pattern=git*(N)
>>> for entry in $path