zsh-users
* Infinite history size
@ 2013-12-14 10:48 Chris Down
From: Chris Down @ 2013-12-14 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Hello,

I am looking to remove the upper limits on the history size in zsh.

In bash, and some other shells, this can be done by nullfying (note: not
unsetting) HIST{,FILE}SIZE, and then making sure readline's
"history-size" is -1. On zsh, doing the same thing with HISTSIZE and
SAVEHIST results in HISTSIZE becoming 1, and SAVEHIST becoming 0.

Setting an indiscriminately high number is not really appropriate -- I
have years of (uniq'd by last usage) history that I would like to
also import, and even that is fairly substantial:

    $ wc -l .bash_history
    32539 .bash_history

Since I don't have any plans for this size to decrease, using a high
number is probably not a wise idea.

How can I do this in zsh?

Thanks.