zsh-users
From: Aaron Schrab <aaron@schrab.com>
To: Michael Rasmussen <michael@jamhome.us>
Cc: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: AltGr key combination recognition
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:34:04 -0500	[thread overview]

At 14:00 -0800 16 Dec 2013, Michael Rasmussen <michael@jamhome.us> wrote:
>Switching to bash allows the combinations to work. Even sshing to
>another host where bash is my default allows it to work. Which sounds
>quite odd because zsh must be accepting the key codes and sending them
>on through the ssh tunnel.

That isn't the way that it works.  Once you start a program (such as
ssh), the shell isn't involved in directing the input or output between
your terminal and that program.  Other than some special cases for
control keys which send signals, character input goes directly from your
terminal to whatever program you are using at the time.