zsh-users
* The Halting Problem
@ 2013-12-28 16:49 Chris Johnson
From: Chris Johnson @ 2013-12-28 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi, folks. I have the following interest: I want to run a potentially long-running job interactively from a script, but if this job exceeds a certain duration, I want to kill it and notify the user.

I've read up on traps and the NOTIFY option in From Bash to Z Shell, but I'm stuck. My current non-working proof-of-concept is:

  setopt LOCAL_OPTIONS
  setopt NOTIFY

  sleepkill() {
    sleep 5
    print "timed out"
    kill $$
  }

  sleepkill &

  # Create a consuming task. Let's have Java draw a spinner.
  (cat <<EOF
  public class Foo {
      for (int i = 0; true; i = (i + 1) % 4) {
        System.out.print("\r" + "\\\\|/-".charAt(i));
      }
    }
  }
  EOF
  ) > Foo.java

  javac Foo.java

  # Here's the long running job. I want it in the foreground so I can
  # kill it manually, observe its output, etc. But if it's taking to
  # long, I want it automatically killed.
  java Foo

When "sleep 5" finishes, the script itself is killed and the JVM process becomes an orphan. Is there a way I can kill the orphan too?

I tried backgrounding the long-running job, capturing its PID, and passing that to sleepkill as the process to kill:

  java Foo &
  longpid=$!

  sleepkill $longpid &
  sleeppid=$!

  wait $longpid
  # Kill the sleep timer, if necessary.
  kill $sleeppid 2>/dev/null

This kills the long-running job on timeout, but it also puts the job in the background. Control-C won't kill it.

I'm thankful for any suggestions!

--
Chris Johnson
johnch@uwec.edu

* Re: The Halting Problem
@ 2013-12-28 20:43 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2013-12-28 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Dec 28, 10:49am, Chris Johnson wrote:
}
} I tried backgrounding the long-running job, capturing its PID, and
} passing that to sleepkill as the process to kill:
}
}   java Foo &
}   longpid=$!
}
}   sleepkill $longpid &
}   sleeppid=$!
}
}   wait $longpid
}   # Kill the sleep timer, if necessary.
}   kill $sleeppid 2>/dev/null
}
} This kills the long-running job on timeout, but it also puts the job
} in the background. Control-C won't kill it.

You're almost there.  If ctrl+c won't kill the java process in the above
example, then there's some additional signal handling going on behind
the scenes, and you just need to add a trap before the "wait":

   TRAPINT() { kill $longpid }

So that when wait is interrupted you send off a signal to java.  You
probably also want to kill $sleeppid there, but because it's a shell
function it may ignore the default TERM signal, so:

   TRAPINT() {
     kill $longpid
     kill -HUP -$$
   }

That should clean everything up.

* Re: The Halting Problem
@ 2013-12-29 13:35   ` Chris Johnson
From: Chris Johnson @ 2013-12-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer sent me the following 1.0K:

> } This kills the long-running job on timeout, but it also puts the job
> } in the background. Control-C won't kill it.
>
> You're almost there.  If ctrl+c won't kill the java process in the above
> example, then there's some additional signal handling going on behind
> the scenes, and you just need to add a trap before the "wait"...

Bart, this is great. Thanks!

I've generalized the script so that it takes an arbitrary long-running command through ARGV (like time) and kills it after the specified number of seconds:

  #!/usr/bin/env zsh

  if [[ $# -lt 2 ]]; then
    echo "Usage: $0 nseconds command [arg1 [arg2 ...]]" >&2
    exit 1
  fi

  nseconds=$1
  shift

  # The command to run is in ARGV[2..]. cmd is going to be embedded in a
  # string, so we'll need to do some quoting of # its elements to ensure
  # correct interpolation.
  cmd=(${(q-)@})

  # Kills the specified process after nseconds have expired.
  sleepkill() {
    sleep $1
    kill $2
    print "Command $cmd timed out."
  }

  # Start up both the long-running process and a sleep timer. The parentheses
  # are needed to background the entire cmd, not just its last subcommand.
  eval "($cmd) &"
  longpid=$!

  sleepkill $nseconds $longpid &
  sleeppid=$!

  # By default, Control-C will kill the wait that happens below -- and not
  # longpid. I want it to kill longpid and the sleep timer.
  TRAPINT() {
    kill $longpid
    kill -HUP -$$
  }

  # If longpid has already finished, wait will flash a message saying it doesn't
  # know about the process. I don't want to see that message.
  wait $longpid 2>/dev/null

  # If longpid finishes before the sleep timer, let's kill the sleep timer.
  kill $sleeppid 2>/dev/null

If you see any improvements that can be made, I welcome input.

--
Chris Johnson
johnch@uwec.edu

* Re: The Halting Problem
@ 2013-12-30  0:53 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2013-12-30  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Johnson; +Cc: Zsh Users

On 28 December 2013 17:49, Chris Johnson <johnch@uwec.edu> wrote:
> Hi, folks. I have the following interest: I want to run a potentially long-running job interactively from a script, but if this job exceeds a certain duration, I want to kill it and notify the user.

> I'm thankful for any suggestions!

If you happen to have a fairly new version of gnu coreutils installed,
the 'timeout' command might be of interest here.

--
Mikael Magnusson