zsh-users
* How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 16:02 zzapper
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: zzapper @ 2014-01-17 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi
I am using xnews which is great now that I've finally worked out how to
edit/control the list of news I've already read.

But what do you use/recommend?

zzapper
https://twitter.com/dailyzshtip

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 17:13 ` René Wilhelm
From: René Wilhelm @ 2014-01-17 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

Gmail and Mutt...

On 17 January 2014 17:02, zzapper <david@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
> I am using xnews which is great now that I've finally worked out how to
> edit/control the list of news I've already read.
>
> But what do you use/recommend?
>
> zzapper
> https://twitter.com/dailyzshtip

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 17:54 ` Bart Schaefer
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-01-17 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 17,  4:02pm, zzapper wrote:
}
} I am using xnews which is great now that I've finally worked out how to
} edit/control the list of news I've already read.
}
} But what do you use/recommend?

I find I'm really curious about this, so I put together a quick two-
question survey.  Answer or not as you like, I'll send resuts back to
the list early next week.

    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DDVYHVT

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 20:26   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2014-01-17 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> I find I'm really curious about this, so I put together a quick two-
> question survey.  Answer or not as you like, I'll send resuts back to
> the list early next week.
>
>     https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DDVYHVT

Job done.Funny thing this was instigated by me finally finding out how to
make news items and threads I've already read reappear!

zzapper

---

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 20:31   ` Damien Thébault
From: Damien Thébault @ 2014-01-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>wrote:

> On Jan 17,  4:02pm, zzapper wrote:

I find I'm really curious about this, so I put together a quick two-
> question survey.  Answer or not as you like, I'll send resuts back to
> the list early next week.
>
>     https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DDVYHVT

I'm noticing that the survey includes "Web-based news aggregator" and
"Desktop news reader", what does that include ?
Is there an atom/rss feed somewhere ?
--
Damien Thebault

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 22:00   ` Axel Beckert
From: Axel Beckert @ 2014-01-17 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 09:54:22AM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I find I'm really curious about this, so I put together a quick two-
> question survey.  Answer or not as you like, I'll send resuts back to
> the list early next week.
>
>     https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DDVYHVT

Does "mutt" count as "desktop e-mail client" (it's a MUA, I use it
also from my desktop, but it is without GUI) or as "Other" (it runs on
my server inside screen and behind SSH)?

		SCNR, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 23:48     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-01-17 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Damien Thébault
<damien.thebault@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm noticing that the survey includes "Web-based news aggregator" and
> "Desktop news reader", what does that include ?
> Is there an atom/rss feed somewhere ?

I'm mostly thinking of people who read the archive at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user and things like that;
there's no RSS feed directly from zsh.org as far as I know.  But part
of the reason for the survey is because I don't know all the places
one might see this list.

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-17 23:51     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-01-17 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org> wrote:

> Does "mutt" count as "desktop e-mail client"

Yes.  I was looking for a shorthand way to distinguish dedicated mail
reading software like mutt, alpine, thunderbird, etc., from the web
browser interfaces of gmail, yahoo mail, outlook.com, etc., without
causing confusion for people who have a gmail address but read it with
tbird.

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-18 11:05 ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2014-01-18 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 04:02:35PM +0000, zzapper wrote:
> Hi
> I am using xnews which is great now that I've finally worked out how to
> edit/control the list of news I've already read.

you mean this mailing list is also accessible as an nttp newsgroup? i'll
really appreciate to lurk on it via slrn!

one of the features i really miss from nntp is the ability to download a
part of the history when you subscribe a new group.

also, the hierarchy of forums was nice.

regards,

--
Marc Chantreux (eiro on github and freenode)
http://eiro.github.com/

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-18 11:26   ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2014-01-18 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Marc Chantreux wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 04:02:35PM +0000, zzapper wrote:
>> I am using xnews which is great now that I've finally worked out how to
>> edit/control the list of news I've already read.
>
> you mean this mailing list is also accessible as an nttp newsgroup? i'll
> really appreciate to lurk on it via slrn!

Well, the lists are registered with gmane, so:

        gmane.comp.shells.zsh.announce
        gmane.comp.shells.zsh.devel
        gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user

Regards, Frank

* Re: How are you accessing this NG?
@ 2014-01-20 11:28     ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2014-01-20 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Terbeck; +Cc: zsh-users

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:26:24PM +0100, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> Well, the lists are registered with gmane, so:
>
>         gmane.comp.shells.zsh.announce
>         gmane.comp.shells.zsh.devel
>         gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user

well. i imagine i have to use their nntpd then. i'll google on it! thank
you very much.

regards