zsh-users
* can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
@ 2015-02-14  1:56 SGT. Garcia
From: SGT. Garcia @ 2015-02-14  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

hello,
i am wondering if zsh is capable of doing this:
https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/1465

you will find some related tickets here too:
https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/created_by/foo-bar-baz

it comes down to:
1. incremental and fuzzy match for types chars so far, and it's on always.
2. categorisation in representation of suggestions/predictions
   (possibilities really) much like in vimperator. for example for
   directories that user can cd into would be one category [dir]. paths
   that user cd's into frequently (say a project directory) another
   category [bookmarks]. for command already typed in there are switches
   and possible completion for those switches, this could be another
   category [arg] and so on and so forth.

this can get wild with more categories but the basic idea is that user
types without thinking much about them and possibilities are represented
incrementally and fuzzily!

SGT. Garcia

* Re: can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
@ 2015-02-14  7:33 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2015-02-14  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Feb 13,  8:56pm, SGT. Garcia wrote:
} Subject: can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
}
} it comes down to:
} 1. incremental and fuzzy match for types chars so far, and it's on always.

I don't usually plug things like this because they tend to tickle any
unstable corners of the shell, but auto-fu seems to be reasonably well
written and probably works better than incremental-complete-word:

   https://github.com/hchbaw/auto-fu.zsh/blob/master/auto-fu.zsh

Just use it with the _approximate completer and you should get something
much like what you've described.

} 2. categorisation in representation of suggestions/predictions

This can be accomplished with the tags mechanism in completion zstyles
plus appropriate values of the "format" style in the right contexts.
It'd be pretty tedious to set up the first time, I suspect, but perhaps
someone would do so and publish the result.

* Re: can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
@ 2015-02-14  9:51   ` SGT. Garcia
From: SGT. Garcia @ 2015-02-14  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Feb 13  23:33 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Feb 13,  8:56pm, SGT. Garcia wrote:
> } Subject: can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
> }
> } it comes down to:
> } 1. incremental and fuzzy match for types chars so far, and it's on always.
>
> I don't usually plug things like this because they tend to tickle any
> unstable corners of the shell, but auto-fu seems to be reasonably well
> written and probably works better than incremental-complete-word:
>
>    https://github.com/hchbaw/auto-fu.zsh/blob/master/auto-fu.zsh
>
> Just use it with the _approximate completer and you should get something
> much like what you've described.

yest it does. thank you very much indeed.
btw, its author has also contributed to vimperator.

> } 2. categorisation in representation of suggestions/predictions
>
> This can be accomplished with the tags mechanism in completion zstyles
> plus appropriate values of the "format" style in the right contexts.
> It'd be pretty tedious to set up the first time, I suspect, but perhaps
> someone would do so and publish the result.

auto-fu sort of does that but by bordering categories with the name of each
category; good enough for now. i rather see the author of auto-fu implement
it. it seems advanced for my knowledge of zsh.

* Re: can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
@ 2015-02-14 10:11   ` SGT. Garcia
From: SGT. Garcia @ 2015-02-14 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Feb 13  23:33 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>    https://github.com/hchbaw/auto-fu.zsh/blob/master/auto-fu.zsh

it seems abondended though; last commit goes back to aug. 2013.

* Re: can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
@ 2015-02-14 13:39     ` Martin Vaeth
From: Martin Vaeth @ 2015-02-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

SGT. Garcia <darwinskernel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 13  23:33 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>>    https://github.com/hchbaw/auto-fu.zsh/blob/master/auto-fu.zsh
>
> it seems abondended though; last commit goes back to aug. 2013.

There is a "pu" branch with more recent commits and several fixes.
This branch works also well with zsh-syntax-highlighting.
I don't know why the author neither updates the master branch nor
tags any new releases.

* Re: can zsh do this? (fuzzy match, categorised suggestion)
@ 2015-02-14 14:24       ` SGT. Garcia
From: SGT. Garcia @ 2015-02-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Vaeth; +Cc: zsh-users

On Feb 14  13:39 +0000, Martin Vaeth wrote:
> SGT. Garcia <darwinskernel@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 13  23:33 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> >>    https://github.com/hchbaw/auto-fu.zsh/blob/master/auto-fu.zsh
> >
> > it seems abondended though; last commit goes back to aug. 2013.
>
> There is a "pu" branch with more recent commits and several fixes.

just switched to that, thanks.

filed couple of issues here:
https://github.com/hchbaw/auto-fu.zsh/issues/created_by/foo-bar-baz

feel free to chime in anyone.