zsh-users
From: Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org>
To: "shirish शिरीष" <shirishag75@gmail.com>
Cc: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: [Aptitude-devel] how to find orphan/obsolete packages if there are any in my Debian installation ?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 17:26:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi shirish,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 08:59:32PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I was using the default shell (bash) and using .bashrc . After using
> the '\' character (denoting space I guess) it works perfectly.

The backslash avoids that zsh tries to lookup the home directory of
the user "o". Think of e.g. "cd ~o".

> I am using oh-my-zsh alongwith it.

I've no experience with omz, but it seems to change quite a bunch of
zsh default settings...

> One question though what does ip stand for ?
>
> ip  pidgin-whatsapp                                                 - WhatsApp plugin for Pidgin
> ip  urw                                                             - UrW is a unique graphical roguelike RPG taking place in ancient Finland during the late Iron Age.
>
> As far as my understanding goes, p in debian stands for packages not installed.

The first letter is the current state (i = installed), the second
letter is planned state in aptitude (and only aptitude) and the p
means "purged".

Means that if you run aptitude to install or upgrade packages, it
would remove these two packages -- maybe because they have been purged
once with aptitude but then installed with apt-get or dpkg again. Or
because they have been schedule interactively for purging but the
scheduled actions have never been executed with aptitude, e.g. by
exiting aptitude with "q" after having made changes to the wanted
package states interactively or with --schedule-only.

> Both these packages are not in Debian and don't think they will ever
> come into debian.

That should not make a difference here.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)