zsh-users
* non-breaking space hangs pipe
@ 2015-07-02  9:17 Jaromil
From: Jaromil @ 2015-07-02  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

dear zsh'ers

in our ZSh made application Tomb we hit a bug that depends from a
translation error in GPG and that could be solved along with any other
similar situation by ZSh if some sort of "canonization"
non-blocking-space (NBS) is made for the '=~' and perhaps other string
operators. I think that handling the special case of NBS is particularly
valuable for zsh script users since such bugs can be very hard to spot.

Here the detail on our issue:
https://github.com/dyne/Tomb/issues/205#issuecomment-117413673

as Arthaud indicates, this is easily replicable with [[ " X" =~ "X" ]]
where the first character in " X" is a non-breaking space; this gets the
zsh interpreter stuck and it seems not even Ctrl+C works.

While I'll file also the bug about an NBS in the GnuPG French
translation, I think is worth considering implementing approaches that
will make ZSh act as one would expect in all such cases.

ciao

--
Denis "Jaromil" Roio, Dyne.org Think (& Do) Tank
We are free to share code and we code to share freedom

* Re: non-breaking space hangs pipe
@ 2015-07-02  9:39 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2015-07-02  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaromil, zsh-users

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 11:17:52 +0200
Jaromil <jaromil@dyne.org> wrote:
> as Arthaud indicates, this is easily replicable with [[ " X" =~ "X" ]]
> where the first character in " X" is a non-breaking space; this gets the
> zsh interpreter stuck and it seems not even Ctrl+C works.

This should have been fixed by git commit f1923bdfa6 on 6th June
(after 5.0.8).  See

http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2015/msg01372.html

and references.

pws