also sprach Bart Schaefer [2017-03-22 14:15 +1300]: > } zstyle ':completion:*:argument*' tag-order " > } directories > } globbed-files files all-files > } backup-files > } compiled-files > } temp-files > } vim-swap-files > } " > > This is wrong. If you combine tags into a single string, they > will all be sorted together. tag-order is a list -- try without > the double quotes around the value (which means you'll need > backslashes at the end of each line, or similar). I also tried that. It makes absolutely no difference, actually. Apart from that, tag-order actually takes "sets of space-separated lists" and I read Peter's description in the Zsh Guide: If you put the tags into the same word by quoting, for example "local-directories path-directories", then they would be tried at the same time, which in this case gives you the effect of the default. to be exactly what I want, i.e. if the completion can be done from the set of directories or files already, then I *still* want it to offer me the other tags, and this is why I think I need to put all the tags into the same set by quoting. If I didn't do this, then the remaining sets of tags would simply not be considered. But again, it actually makes no difference whether I use a single quoted string of all tags, or each tag separately. I think the problem is elsewhere… -- @martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/ "nicht durch zorn, sondern durch lachen tötet man." - friedrich nietzsche spamtraps: madduck.bogus@madduck.net