zsh-users
From: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
To: Ahmad Ismail <ismail783@gmail.com>
Cc: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>, Zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: How to refer to other mails (was: Re: completely disable zsh completion system)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 18:56:56 +0000	[thread overview]

Ahmad Ismail wrote on Fri, 04 Sep 2020 22:27 +0600:
> (You can find this question in the email subject "how to use tags in
> zsh completion system".

That's users/26032.

> Sorry I do not know how to refer to another
> email that is why I am writing like this. If possible then please
> also let me know how to refer to another email).

There are several ways, depending on circumstances.  I might refer to
your email (the one I'm replying to) in any of the following forms:

- "users/26049", using the mailing list manager software (MLM)'s message
  number in the headers.  (The message number is a standard feature of
  MLMs, but using it this way is uncommon outside of zsh land.)

- "CAHAhJwJ6VDAQ3j-m7+3zSuuKNLanWO6WG8jE6dFzHeo01RNT0g@mail.gmail.com", the message-id.

- The following message:

    Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 22:27:30 +0600
    From: Ahmad Ismail <ismail783@gmail.com>
    To: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>, d.s@daniel.shahaf.name
    Cc: Zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
    Subject: Re: completely disable zsh completion system

- "https://zsh.org/users/26049", a permalink to the message.  (Usually
  this points to the HTML archives.  Presently, however, those don't
  get updated, so that link will give the raw message instead (until
  message 26100 is received; the fallback codepath doesn't dynamically
  extract individual messages from past tarballs).)

The above are the most robust/portable/canonical ways to refer to
a message.  It's worth noting that all of them can be resolved without
network access (in contrast to links such as
https://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2020/msg00420.html) and can also be
easily resolved by anyone reading them in the archives, months or years
later (in contrast to pointers such as, say, "Peter's email from last
Monday").

Cheers,

Daniel