zsh-users
* completely disable zsh completion system
@ 2020-08-26 13:13 Ahmad Ismail
From: Ahmad Ismail @ 2020-08-26 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I am trying to completely disable the zsh completion system.

I removed the following from my `.zshrc`:

    autoload -Uz compinit
    compinit

Still it is giving some suggestions.

I used:

    zstyle ':completion:*' use-compctl false

Still it is giving some suggestions.

For example,

% ls<TAB>
ls            lsblk         lshw          lslocks       lsmod   .....

I guess I am looking for something like

    zstyle ':completion:*' use-compsys false

So, what can I do to completely disable zsh completion system.

*Thanks ,Ahmad Ismail*

* Re: completely disable zsh completion system
@ 2020-08-26 13:24 ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2020-08-26 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmad Ismail; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 3:14 PM Ahmad Ismail <ismail783@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to completely disable the zsh completion system.

Does this do what you want?

    bindkey -r '^I'

Roman.

* Re: completely disable zsh completion system
@ 2020-08-26 13:30   ` Ahmad Ismail
From: Ahmad Ismail @ 2020-08-26 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Perepelitsa; +Cc: Zsh Users

No, I have already unbinding Ctrl+I. It is also not helping.

@ 2020-08-26 13:40     ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2020-08-26 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmad Ismail; +Cc: Zsh Users

>> > I am trying to completely disable the zsh completion system.
>>
>> Does this do what you want?
>>
>>     bindkey -r '^I'
>
> No, I have already unbinding Ctrl+I. It is also not helping.

The bindkey command I posted above makes TAB do nothing.

  % ls<TAB>

Nothing happens.

If this isn't what you are looking for, please explain what you want to achieve.

Roman.

* Re: completely disable zsh completion system
@ 2020-08-26 13:45       ` Ahmad Ismail
From: Ahmad Ismail @ 2020-08-26 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Perepelitsa; +Cc: Zsh Users

It makes sense now. Maybe it is binding Ctrl+I somewhere else. Please
let me check it out.

@ 2020-08-28  3:05 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-08-28  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmad Ismail; +Cc: zsh-users

Ahmad Ismail wrote on Wed, 26 Aug 2020 19:13 +0600:
> I am trying to completely disable the zsh completion system.

Why?

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: completely disable zsh completion system
@ 2020-08-28  6:22   ` Lewis Butler
From: Lewis Butler @ 2020-08-28  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On 27 Aug 2020, at 21:05, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Ahmad Ismail wrote on Wed, 26 Aug 2020 19:13 +0600:
>> I am trying to completely disable the zsh completion system.
>
> Why?

That was my question as well, but I figured I must be missing something.

I remember when I first learned about completion and it was literally a transformative moment in my computer use, along the lines of my first modem connection and my first always-on Internet connection.

--
ɹןʇnqן
<mailto:lbutler@covisp.net>

* Re: completely disable zsh completion system
@ 2020-09-04 16:27     ` Ahmad Ismail
From: Ahmad Ismail @ 2020-09-04 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Butler, d.s; +Cc: Zsh Users

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply.

I actually find completions easier than keybindinge or aliases. That is why
I was trying to write some completion functions. The zsh completion system
seemed very complex to me, That is why I was thinking of using fzf
completion. I also thought that if I write fzf completions then that will
be portable to bash as well. However, I found that fzf completion also
calls the zsh completion system. So I inferred that it will be complexity
over complexity.

I went through some books and am now comfortable with most of the concepts
(except tags) in zsh completion. So, I think I will stick to it for now.

Being said that, I will much appreciate it if someone kindly gives some
examples of tags in completion and explains how they are useful. (You can
find this question in the email subject "how to use tags in zsh completion
system". Sorry I do not know how to refer to another email that is why I am
writing like this. If possible then please also let me know how to refer to
another email).

*Thanks and Best Regards,Ahmad Ismail*

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 12:22 PM Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net> wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2020, at 21:05, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > Ahmad Ismail wrote on Wed, 26 Aug 2020 19:13 +0600:
> >> I am trying to completely disable the zsh completion system.
> >
> > Why?
>
> That was my question as well, but I figured I must be missing something.
>
> I remember when I first learned about completion and it was literally a
> transformative moment in my computer use, along the lines of my first modem
> connection and my first always-on Internet connection.
>
> --
> ɹןʇnqן
> <mailto:lbutler@covisp.net>
> tel:+1.303.219.0564

* How to refer to other mails (was: Re: completely disable zsh completion system)
@ 2020-09-04 18:56       ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-09-04 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmad Ismail; +Cc: Lewis Butler, Zsh Users

Ahmad Ismail wrote on Fri, 04 Sep 2020 22:27 +0600:
> (You can find this question in the email subject "how to use tags in
> zsh completion system".

That's users/26032.

> Sorry I do not know how to refer to another
> email that is why I am writing like this. If possible then please
> also let me know how to refer to another email).

There are several ways, depending on circumstances.  I might refer to
your email (the one I'm replying to) in any of the following forms:

- "users/26049", using the mailing list manager software (MLM)'s message
  number in the headers.  (The message number is a standard feature of
  MLMs, but using it this way is uncommon outside of zsh land.)

- "CAHAhJwJ6VDAQ3j-m7+3zSuuKNLanWO6WG8jE6dFzHeo01RNT0g@mail.gmail.com", the message-id.

- The following message:

    Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 22:27:30 +0600
    From: Ahmad Ismail <ismail783@gmail.com>
    To: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>, d.s@daniel.shahaf.name
    Cc: Zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
    Subject: Re: completely disable zsh completion system

- "https://zsh.org/users/26049", a permalink to the message.  (Usually
  this points to the HTML archives.  Presently, however, those don't
  get updated, so that link will give the raw message instead (until
  message 26100 is received; the fallback codepath doesn't dynamically
  extract individual messages from past tarballs).)

The above are the most robust/portable/canonical ways to refer to
a message.  It's worth noting that all of them can be resolved without
network access (in contrast to links such as
https://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2020/msg00420.html) and can also be
easily resolved by anyone reading them in the archives, months or years
later (in contrast to pointers such as, say, "Peter's email from last
Monday").

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: How to refer to other mails (was: Re: completely disable zsh completion system)
@ 2020-09-04 22:02         ` Aaron Schrab
From: Aaron Schrab @ 2020-09-04 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: Ahmad Ismail, Lewis Butler, Zsh Users

At 18:56 +0000 04 Sep 2020, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>  (The message number is a standard feature of MLMs,

I'd definitely disagree about that being standard.  The only MLM I'm
aware of which provides that is ezmlm, at least as far as a message
number being visible in the copies received by subscribers. Web archives
created by Mhonarc (used by Mailman 2, as well as Debian lists, and
likely others) include a message number in the URL for individual
messages. But that's not visible outside of the web archive, it's also
not stable if the web archive is regenerated from the raw messages.

I subscribe to quite a few mailing lists handled by a number of
different MLM systems; none of those lists, outside of zsh-related ones,
includes a message number.

* Re: How to refer to other mails (was: Re: completely disable zsh completion system)
@ 2020-09-04 23:27           ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-09-04 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Schrab; +Cc: Ahmad Ismail, Lewis Butler, Zsh Users

Aaron Schrab wrote on Fri, 04 Sep 2020 18:02 -0400:
> At 18:56 +0000 04 Sep 2020, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> >  (The message number is a standard feature of MLMs,
>
> I'd definitely disagree about that being standard.  The only MLM I'm
> aware of which provides that is ezmlm,

Sympa does too, in the X-Sequence header by default.

mailman2 and mailman3 maintain a message number ("post_id") internally
and will include it in the subject prefix if configured to do so.

> at least as far as a message number being visible in the copies
> received by subscribers.

That's what I have in mind.

> I subscribe to quite a few mailing lists handled by a number of
> different MLM systems; none of those lists, outside of zsh-related ones,
> includes a message number.

Yeah, the message number isn't always _exposed to subscribers_ by
default.  Agreed.  However, it is _tracked_ by default.  (E.g., the
"increment the number by one" code lives in the MLM's code, not in some
random plugin's code.)  Thanks for refining this point.

@ 2020-09-05 11:30         ` Ahmad Ismail
From: Ahmad Ismail @ 2020-09-05 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: Lewis Butler, Zsh Users