zsh-users
* nested parameter expansion
@ 2020-09-24  8:03 jdh
From: jdh @ 2020-09-24  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I can't get, what should be simple nested parameter to work.
I think that $ndx needs to be expanded before the letter P before it 1st.

Simple example:

    ndx=1
    P1_ARRAY=("1" "2" "3")

    print ${P${ndx}_ARRAY}
#results in: "zsh bad substitution

    print ${~P${ndx}_ARRAY}
#results in: "zsh bad substitution

    print ${(P)P${ndx}_ARRAY}
#results in: "zsh bad substitution

I want to do a simple 'for' loop like this:

  for ndx in ("1" "2" "3")		# for multiple arrays not defined in this simple example.
      do
      for element in ${P${ndx}_ARRAY}
        do
	print "Process element."
	done
     done

Any assistance would be appreciated

* Re: nested parameter expansion
@ 2020-09-24  8:15 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2020-09-24  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> On 24 September 2020 at 09:03 jdh <dhenman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't get, what should be simple nested parameter to work.
> I think that $ndx needs to be expanded before the letter P before it 1st.
>
> Simple example:
>
>     ndx=1
>     P1_ARRAY=("1" "2" "3")
>
>     print ${P${ndx}_ARRAY}
> #results in: "zsh bad substitution

I don't think there's a simple way to do it without an extra intermediate
variable:

var="P${ndx}_ARRAY"
print ${(P)var}

You could add some eval trickery, but I suspect it's not worth making it any
more complicated.

pws

* Re: nested parameter expansion
@ 2020-09-24  8:29   ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2020-09-24  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 10:15 AM Peter Stephenson

> You could add some eval trickery, but I suspect it's not worth making it any
> more complicated.

This should work:

    print ${(P)${:-P${ndx}_ARRAY}}

I wouldn't recommend writing it this way. It's quite a bit more
cryptic than using an intermediate variable.

Roman.

* Re: nested parameter expansion
@ 2020-09-24 17:07   ` jdh
From: jdh @ 2020-09-24 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thanks for the information Roman & Peter.
Much appreciated.

---------