zsh-users
* Parallel processing
@ 2022-03-26  4:34 jdh
From: jdh @ 2022-03-26  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

"Not every program reacts well to parallel processing, for example conventional (non-SSD) disk IO becomes magnitudes slower if two processes read/write disk at the same time because the disk head needs to keep jumping back and forth between different areas of the HDD to serve multiple processes."

This is not in the zsh topic realm but consideration should be given to avoid hard disk drive thrashing.

dh

* Re: Re: Parallel processing
@ 2022-03-27 18:37 jdh
From: jdh @ 2022-03-27 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Re: the phrase "parallel processing":

So that beginners do not get the wrong idea I wish to make clear that Unix based systems are not designed to, and can not do parallel processing.  Strictly speaking it is also not designed to do real time processing. Unix/Linux does do multitasking by using task switching.  Unix based systems does allow users with the proper priviledge to set task priority, which helps in deciding which task gets more run time.

dh

* Parallel processing
@ 2022-03-25  4:34 Perry Smith
                   ` (2 more replies)