zsh-users
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: glob executable vs. non executable
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 16:39:14 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2022-10-27 16:19, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> See zshexpn(1), in the paragraph immediately following the list of
> glob qualifiers.  It is admittedly easy to overlook.
I've always 'bounced off' the manual, I just don't have the language,
it's written by adepts for adepts, but perhaps the time has come that
I'm ready to try to read the thing again.

> By this definition, every possible command name is "actionable".
> After all, *something* always happens.
Sometimes what happens is a 'no such command' message.  But yeah, if it
is a command and and zsh finds it, then I want to know where it comes
from.  A builtin and a binary file are very different things.

> A symlink is not inherently more "actionable" than a regular file
> that does not have executable permissions.  The target is what's
> important, not the symlink.
Sure, but the symlink is the first thing acted on.   Of course one
follows the link to wherever it leads.  I remember when Peter gave me
'whence -S' so it was explicit.
> As I said in my last message, the "-" glob qualifier allows you to
> include or exclude symlinks based on their targets' attributes.
> There is no reason to blindly lump all symlinks together, when you
> can easily pick out the ones that actually matter.

Call it lack of confidence, but I like to see them, and then see where
they go.  It gets better with time but when I first started with Linux
there were times when I had no idea what was being acted on when I typed
a command.  I'd be looking for a file when it was an alias or a
builtin.  For a long time when I typed 'zsh' I was actually firing up
the wrong version.