zsh-users
From: Kanny <kanny96@aol.com>
To: Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>
Cc: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: Installation compiling error in builtin.c, builtin.epro
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 00:48:19 +0530	[thread overview]

Peter, thanks for the reply.
The file builtin.epro looks fine:

===========
/* Generated automatically */
#ifndef have_Src_builtin_globals
#define have_Src_builtin_globals

extern mod_import_variable HashTable builtintab;
extern void createbuiltintable _((void));
extern int execbuiltin _((LinkList args,Builtin bn));
extern int bin_enable _((char*name,char**argv,Options ops,int func));
extern int bin_set _((char*nam,char**args,UNUSED(Options
ops),UNUSED(int func)));
extern int doprintdir;
extern int bin_pwd _((UNUSED(char*name@>,UNUSED(char**argv),Options
ops,UNUSED(int func)));
extern mod_import_variable LinkList dirstack;
extern int bin_dirs _((UNUSED(char*name),char**argv,Options
ops,UNUSED(int func)));
extern void set_pwd_env _((void));
.
.
extern int bin_umask _((char*nam,char**args,Options ops,UNUSED(int
func)));
extern mod_import_function int bin_notavail
_((char*nam,UNUSED(char**argv),UNUSED(Options ops),UNUSED(int func))
);

#endif /* !have_Src_builtin_globals */
==========

I tried to google 'unterminated argument list invoking macro "_" ' and
many forums suggest it due to compiler outdated. So I checked gcc --
version and it was 4.0.1. I also happened to have 4.2.1 so I reset the
symlinks and made it active. Then performed "make distclean";
configure; make, and got similar but not the same error:

========
gcc -c -I.  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -O2  -o
builtin.o builtin.c
In file included from zsh.mdh:34,
                  from builtin.c:33:
builtin.epro:57:1: error: unterminated argument list invoking macro "_"
In file included from zsh.mdh:34,
                  from builtin.c:33:
builtin.epro:11: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
‘__attribute__’ before ‘_’
In file included from zsh.mdh:61,
                  from builtin.c:33:
utils.epro:22: error: stray ‘@’ in program
utils.epro:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’
before ‘{’ token
make[2]: *** [builtin.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [modobjs] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 1
=========

All this while I had already initiated svn co svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/
gcc/tags/gcc_4_5_1_release gcc-4.5.1 to get the latest gcc. It just
finished, but man that's a whole 1.1GB for gcc??? I am seriously
deterred to compile that beast to get zsh updated while everything
else seems to be fine! If this error is fixable by any other means I
would like to try that first.

Thanks