On 2024-06-12 11:48, Bart Schaefer wrote: > So the only way to "break the string up" is never to put it together > in the first place. Using an array would be one way to do that, but > not necessarily the best way depending on where/how the substrings > originate. Yeah, that has to be the answer.  If I want to break up "Let me not, 'to the m'"arriage of" true minds" into: Le te me n ot, to th e marriage  of true minds ... the parts would have to exist separately before concatenation cuz once together there's no paper trail back to where the parts came from.  It's actually a dumb question even tho it's worth asking -- my array would have to pre-exist in which case the elements would indeed be delimited from each other.  But you can't unscramble the egg.