zsh-users
* Re: Zsh fails when Globing fails
@ 2005-07-27  9:47 Ligesh
From: Ligesh @ 2005-07-27  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

>    Hi Ligesh :)

> DervishD <zsh@dervishd.net> wrote:
>  IS there a config option which can get back the bash like behaviour?
>  setopt nullglob

Hey thanks a lot. Now that you have helped me, I am going to bother you with one more question. What is the metacharacter that expands to the current list of intelligent completions?  For instance, in cvs, I do cvs add <Tab>, it will show the list of new files, but '*' still expands to all the files in the directory. So is there a metacharacter that expands to the result of the intelligent completion?

Thanks

-Ligesh

* Re: Zsh fails when Globing fails
@ 2005-07-27  9:49 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-07-27  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Ligesh wrote:
> Hey thanks a lot. Now that you have helped me, I am going to bother you with
> one more question. What is the metacharacter that expands to the current list
>  of intelligent completions?  For instance, in cvs, I do cvs add <Tab>, it wi
> ll show the list of new files, but '*' still expands to all the files in the
> directory. So is there a metacharacter that expands to the result of the inte
> lligent completion?

You can force the shell to use globbing characters to match the results
of completions by setting "setopt globcomplete".  Depending how completion
is set up, the shell may decided to perform expansion instead if there
are files that match.  For example, "cvs c*t<TAB>" might offer "commit"
or "checkout", but if there is a file config.txt you could get that instead.
It's possible to configure the shell not to do expansion, or alternatively
to use different keystrokes to do expansion and completion.

pws

the system manager.

* Re: Zsh fails when Globing fails
@ 2005-07-27 19:56 ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2005-07-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ligesh; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Ligesh :)

 * Ligesh <gxlists@gmail.com> dixit:
> > DervishD <zsh@dervishd.net> wrote:
> >  IS there a config option which can get back the bash like behaviour?
> >  setopt nullglob
> Hey thanks a lot.

    Not at all: I was wrong. I misinterpreted you and thought you
want to *get rid of* the globbing pattern (nullglob), and not ignore
the fail (nomatch). Peter has helped you in other message, though.

> Now that you have helped me, I am going to bother you with one more
> question. What is the metacharacter that expands to the current
> list of intelligent completions?  For instance, in cvs, I do cvs
> add <Tab>, it will show the list of new files, but '*' still
> expands to all the files in the directory. So is there a
> metacharacter that expands to the result of the intelligent
> completion?

    I don't know, I don't use the default zsh completion system. But
someone in the list will help you, sure :) Anyway, I suspect that
there isn't such metacharacter...

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...

* Re: Zsh fails when Globing fails
@ 2005-07-27  9:44   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-07-27  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Ligesh wrote:
>  I would like to know how to turn off the strict globbing feature in zsh. In
> bash, if a globbing fails, the shell will simply pass the full string - metac
> haracters and all - directly to the program. But zsh bails out when globbing
> fails. So currenlty I have to include all of them in single quotes to make it
>  work.
>
>  IS there a config option which can get back the bash like behaviour?

You need "setopt nonomatch".  (Not "setopt nullglob": that will remove
the failed matches from the line altogether, which isn't what you want.)

pws

the system manager.

* Re: Zsh fails when Globing fails
@ 2005-07-27  8:01   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2005-07-27  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ligesh; +Cc: zsh-users

       [not found] <1122445746.19346.ezmlm@sunsite.dk>
@ 2005-07-27  7:19 ` Ligesh
From: Ligesh @ 2005-07-27  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

 I would like to know how to turn off the strict globbing feature in zsh. In bash, if a globbing fails, the shell will simply pass the full string - metacharacters and all - directly to the program. But zsh bails out when globbing fails. So currenlty I have to include all of them in single quotes to make it work.

 IS there a config option which can get back the bash like behaviour?

 Thanks in advance.