zsh-users
* Help with history . . .
@ 2003-11-10  5:03 Peter Chen
From: Peter Chen @ 2003-11-10  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Dear zsh users,

I use the Ctrl-R command to search through the history of commands.
I've noticed that the history command in zsh by default only shows the
last dozen or so entries in the history file.  When I use the Ctrl-R
command, the command only searches through the same last dozen or so
entries in the history file.  Is there a way to get Ctrl-R and the
history command to show ALL the entries in the history file?

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Peter

* Re: Help with history . . .
@ 2003-11-10  8:38 ` Dominic Mitchell
From: Dominic Mitchell @ 2003-11-10  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Chen; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:03:40AM -0500, Peter Chen wrote:
> I use the Ctrl-R command to search through the history of commands.
> I've noticed that the history command in zsh by default only shows the
> last dozen or so entries in the history file.  When I use the Ctrl-R
> command, the command only searches through the same last dozen or so
> entries in the history file.  Is there a way to get Ctrl-R and the
> history command to show ALL the entries in the history file?

Set the HISTSIZE parameter to a larger value than it's default (32).  I
have this in my .zshrc:

    HISTSIZE=1024

-Dom

* Re: Help with history . . .
@ 2003-11-10 16:09   ` Peter Chen
From: Peter Chen @ 2003-11-10 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I have my HISTSIZE set to 3000 already.  The problem is, when I type
"history", I can only see 16 entries despite the fact I have hundreds
of entries in my history file.  Is there a way to get the "history"
command to display all the entries in the history file like the command
does in bash?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Peter

On Nov 10, 2003, at 3:38 AM, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:03:40AM -0500, Peter Chen wrote:
>> I use the Ctrl-R command to search through the history of commands.
>> I've noticed that the history command in zsh by default only shows the
>> last dozen or so entries in the history file.  When I use the Ctrl-R
>> command, the command only searches through the same last dozen or so
>> entries in the history file.  Is there a way to get Ctrl-R and the
>> history command to show ALL the entries in the history file?
>
> Set the HISTSIZE parameter to a larger value than it's default (32).  I
> have this in my .zshrc:
>
>     HISTSIZE=1024
>
> -Dom

* Re: Help with history . . .
@ 2003-11-10 16:14     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-11-10 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Chen; +Cc: zsh-users

Peter Chen wrote:
> I have my HISTSIZE set to 3000 already.  The problem is, when I type
> "history", I can only see 16 entries despite the fact I have hundreds
> of entries in my history file.  Is there a way to get the "history"
> command to display all the entries in the history file like the command
> does in bash?

3.19: How do I list all my history entries?

  Tell zsh to start from entry 1: `history 1'.  Those entries at the
  start which are no longer in memory will be silently omitted.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: Help with history . . .
@ 2003-11-10 16:21     ` Dominik Vogt
From: Dominik Vogt @ 2003-11-10 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:09:03AM -0500, Peter Chen wrote:
> I have my HISTSIZE set to 3000 already.  The problem is, when I type
> "history", I can only see 16 entries despite the fact I have hundreds
> of entries in my history file.  Is there a way to get the "history"
> command to display all the entries in the history file like the command
> does in bash?

  $ history -<n>

where <n> is the number of entries you want to see or

  $ history 1

for all entries.  See the documentation for the fc command in the
zshbuiltins man page for further details.

> On Nov 10, 2003, at 3:38 AM, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:03:40AM -0500, Peter Chen wrote:
> >>I use the Ctrl-R command to search through the history of commands.
> >>I've noticed that the history command in zsh by default only shows the
> >>last dozen or so entries in the history file.  When I use the Ctrl-R
> >>command, the command only searches through the same last dozen or so
> >>entries in the history file.  Is there a way to get Ctrl-R and the
> >>history command to show ALL the entries in the history file?
> >
> >Set the HISTSIZE parameter to a larger value than it's default (32).  I
> >have this in my .zshrc:
> >
> >    HISTSIZE=1024

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^