zsh-users
* accessing directory stack entries changed
@ 1996-05-03 10:25 Norbert Kiesel
From: Norbert Kiesel @ 1996-05-03 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

between beta13 and beta14, the magic required to access directory
stack entries changed from '=' to '~' (i.e. 'cd /; pushd /tmp; echo
=1' was changed to 'cd /;pushd /tmp; echo ~1').  Was this an intended
change or merely a result of the code cleanup in subst.c?  It's at
least not mentioned anywhere (neither Doc nor ChangeLog nor README).
One effect is that the old '=-' for accessing the last pushed entry of
the stack is gone because '~-' is an alias for $OLDPWD.

    so long

	Norbert

Norbert Kiesel   Software-Ley GmbH
Lindenstr. 15    Phone: +49 2238 96600        I'll live forever
D-50259 Pulheim  Fax:   +49 2238 50842               (or die trying...)
Germany          Email: nk@col.sw-ley.de

* Re: accessing directory stack entries changed
@ 1996-05-03 12:01 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1996-05-03 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nk; +Cc: zsh-users

>between beta13 and beta14, the magic required to access directory
>stack entries changed from '=' to '~' (i.e. 'cd /; pushd /tmp; echo
>=1' was changed to 'cd /;pushd /tmp; echo ~1').  Was this an intended
>change or merely a result of the code cleanup in subst.c?  It's at
>least not mentioned anywhere (neither Doc nor ChangeLog nor README).

It's intentional.  It is documented in the man page, but should
probably go in the FAQ too.

>One effect is that the old '=-' for accessing the last pushed entry of
>the stack is gone because '~-' is an alias for $OLDPWD.

~-0 is the bottom entry of the stack.  Less convenient, but then, how
often do you want it, compared to ~-?

-zefram