zsh-users
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: preserving single quotes
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:29:28 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2022-09-28 11:49, Stephane Chazelas wrote:
> There seems to be some confusion as to the role of quotes there.

Thanks for that.  Very easy for subtle misunderstandings to creep in.
Yes, I am/was thinking of the single quotes as 'part of aptitude' if you
get  me.  Important to understand that they remain zsh's way of grouping
the words into three logical arguments.  That thought would never have
occurred to me. Actually even as I type this, clouds are parting.  That
also explains why the array syntax obviates the single quotes -- the
fact of the array already groups the words into three entities.  The
hard thing is that all this grouping /splitting is invisible.  It's very
astute of you to catch that I'm getting the invisible stuff wrong.  And
such clarity of explanation!