Peter Stephenson wrote: >paxunix wrote: > > >>Why does zsh have to glob every directory along a pathname in order to >>find completions within the final directory? For example, take this case: >> >>/one/two/three/four >> >>If I set -x, the output after hitting TAB shows zsh retrieves all the >>subdirectories within one, two, three and four. >> >> > >It's looking for /oneandabit/twoandabit/threeandabit/four... etc. > >I certainly agree it should be possible to turn this off but the >function that implements this is very hairy and full of calls to poorly >documented shell internals. > >The documentation in the zshcompsys manual page suggests setting > > zstyle ':completion:*:paths' accept-exact true > >or maybe (I'm not quite sure what the entry means and the implementation >is obscure) > > zstyle ':completion:*:paths' accept-exact '*' > >If neither works, I would definitely interpret that as a bug. > >I'm afraid vagueness is the order of the day since the author hasn't >been seen in these parts for ages. Maybe Oliver knows more. > The latter works perfectly. The situation is even more pronounced on zsh under Cygwin, where completing a path with /cygdrive/ will cause your floppy drive to be accessed every time you attempt a new completion. The accept-exact '*' resolves this issue wonderfully. Many thanks! -- Shawn Halpenny