zsh-users
* zsh in GNU Screen--Login Shell?
@ 2004-06-11  3:05 Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2004-06-11  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Does anyone have any experience running zsh inside GNU Screen? On all
the boxes I've used them on until now, zsh always started inside screen
as a non-login shell--i.e., zshrc was executed, but not zprofile.
However, just today I set up my usual environment on a box running
GenToo linux, GNU Screen 4.00.01, and zsh 4.2.0, and it appears to have
changed--zprofile seems to be executing too. This poses something of a
problem, as my means of executing screen is through zprofile, so if
when screen creates a new window, zsh calls zprofile again, I end up
with nested screens, and a possible infinite recursion problem. Does
anyone know why this is happening (or what I can do to prevent it)?

BTW, one example of a box that gives the correct behavior is Mac OS X
10.3.4, zsh 4.1.1, screen 3.09.15.
--
Aaron Davies
agdavi01@louisville.edu

* Re: zsh in GNU Screen--Login Shell?
@ 2004-06-11  5:33 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2004-06-11  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Davies; +Cc: zsh-users

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:05:30PM -0400, Aaron Davies wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience running zsh inside GNU Screen?

Sure, I've used that combination for many, many years now (I think I was
using zsh back when I was maintaining screen, oh so many years ago).

> GenToo linux, GNU Screen 4.00.01, and zsh 4.2.0, and it appears to have
> changed--zprofile seems to be executing too.

I'm using debian with screen 4.00.02 and zsh 4.2.0 without this problem,
so it's probably something that has been customized by the gentoo folks.
It might be something as simple as them setting the shell to a value
that begins with a '-' in the /etc/screenrc file (or wherever it is on
gentoo these days).  Look for a line like this:

shell -$SHELL

In fact, I decided to rsync the app-misc/screen dir from portage (I used
to use gentoo a while back), and they have that exact line in their
screenrc file.  Just comment it out and you should be fine.

..wayne..

* Re: zsh in GNU Screen--Login Shell?
@ 2004-06-11  5:36   ` Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2004-06-11  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Friday, June 11, 2004, at 01:33 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:05:30PM -0400, Aaron Davies wrote:
>> Does anyone have any experience running zsh inside GNU Screen?
>
> Sure, I've used that combination for many, many years now (I think I
> was
> using zsh back when I was maintaining screen, oh so many years ago).
>
>> GenToo linux, GNU Screen 4.00.01, and zsh 4.2.0, and it appears to
>> have
>> changed--zprofile seems to be executing too.
>
> I'm using debian with screen 4.00.02 and zsh 4.2.0 without this
> problem,
> so it's probably something that has been customized by the gentoo
> folks.
> It might be something as simple as them setting the shell to a value
> that begins with a '-' in the /etc/screenrc file (or wherever it is on
> gentoo these days).  Look for a line like this:
>
> shell -$SHELL
>
> In fact, I decided to rsync the app-misc/screen dir from portage (I
> used
> to use gentoo a while back), and they have that exact line in their
> screenrc file.  Just comment it out and you should be fine.

Thx much. It's actually not my box, so I don't have root. I assume an
equivalent solution would be to add "shell $SHELL" to ~/.screenrc, thus
overriding the global?
--
     __                        __
    /  )                      /  )

* Re: zsh in GNU Screen--Login Shell?
@ 2004-06-11  5:45     ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2004-06-11  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Davies; +Cc: zsh-users

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:36:16AM -0400, Aaron Davies wrote:
> I assume an equivalent solution would be to add "shell $SHELL" to
> ~/.screenrc, thus overriding the global?

Yup, that's certainly the best way to solve it without root access.

>     __                        __
>    /  )                      /  )
>   /--/ __.  __  ________    /  / __. , __o  _  _
>  /  (_(_/|_/ (_(_) / / <_  /__/_(_/|_\/ <__</_/_)_

Random aside:  doesn't this spell Aarom Davies? (with an 'm')?

..wayne..

* Re: zsh in GNU Screen--Login Shell?
@ 2004-06-11  5:49       ` Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2004-06-11  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Friday, June 11, 2004, at 01:45 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:36:16AM -0400, Aaron Davies wrote:
>
>>     __                        __
>>    /  )                      /  )
>>   /--/ __.  __  ________    /  / __. , __o  _  _
>>  /  (_(_/|_/ (_(_) / / <_  /__/_(_/|_\/ <__</_/_)_
>
> Random aside:  doesn't this spell Aarom Davies? (with an 'm')?

Yes, it does, at least if you're seeing it in a fixed-width font, which
I presume you are, since you're using Mutt. The thing on the end of the
first name is supposed to be a cursive 'n', with some sort of trailing
stroke after it. I've fiddled around with a it once or twice to try to
get it to look more like an 'n', but never found anything I really
liked. It was made by a friend of mine on his DOS box using an old prog
called CURSIVE.EXE; I've tried to find a comparable font in FIGlet, but
to no avail.
--
     __                        __
    /  )                      /  )

* Re: zsh in GNU Screen--Login Shell?
@ 2004-06-11 14:04 ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2004-06-11 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 2004-06-10 23:05:30 -0400, Aaron Davies wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience running zsh inside GNU Screen? On all
> the boxes I've used them on until now, zsh always started inside screen
> as a non-login shell--i.e., zshrc was executed, but not zprofile.

I've had the following in my .screenrc for years:

# Use a login shell to make ssh-agent work
shell -zsh

Not any problem with it.

100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17,
Championnat International des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, etc.

* Re: zsh in GNU Screen--Login Shell?
@ 2004-06-11 15:04         ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2004-06-11 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Davies; +Cc: zsh-users

In the last episode (Jun 11), Aaron Davies said:
> On Friday, June 11, 2004, at 01:45 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:36:16AM -0400, Aaron Davies wrote:
> >
> >>    __                        __
> >>   /  )                      /  )
> >>  /--/ __.  __  ______    /  / __. , __o  _  _
> >> /  (_(_/|_/ (_(_) / <_  /__/_(_/|_\/ <__</_/_)_
> >
> >Random aside:  doesn't this spell Aarom Davies? (with an 'm')?
>
> Yes, it does, at least if you're seeing it in a fixed-width font,
> which I presume you are, since you're using Mutt. The thing on the
> end of the first name is supposed to be a cursive 'n', with some sort
> of trailing stroke after it. I've fiddled around with a it once or
> twice to try to get it to look more like an 'n', but never found
> anything I really liked. It was made by a friend of mine on his DOS
> box using an old prog called CURSIVE.EXE; I've tried to find a
> comparable font in FIGlet, but to no avail.

The source to cursive is at ftp://puck.nether.net/pub/janc/ if you want
to build it on Unix (there are also FreeBSD and Darwin ports in their
respective port trees).

Otherwise, "figlet -f cursive Aaron Davies" is very close.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com