zsh-users
* Completion strangeness
@ 2005-05-17 20:53 Kyle Rose
From: Kyle Rose @ 2005-05-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

This relates to zsh 4.2.5's ssh command line completion.  I don't know
if this problem exists in earlier versions.

Here's the problem I'm seeing:

  krose@jihl ~% ssh krose@y<TAB>

results in

  krose@jihl ~% ssh krose@yupa..org

with the cursor over the second ".".  Then, if I hit <TAB> again, I get

  krose@jihl ~% ssh krose@yupa.krose.org

with the completion "done" (i.e., the cursor a space after "org").
Problem is, when I do

  krose@jihl ~% ssh krose@y^Xn

I get

  yupa-dmz.valley-of-wind.krose.org  yupa.krose.org
  yupa.valley-of-wind.krose.org

Clearly, any of them match the original attempt to complete.  This works
just fine with hosts only:

  krose@jihl ~% ssh y<TAB>

  krose@jihl ~% ssh yupa<TAB>

  krose@jihl ~% ssh yupa<TAB>

  krose@jihl ~% ssh yupa-dmz.valley-of-wind.krose.org
  yupa-dmz.valley-of-wind.krose.org  yupa.krose.org
  yupa.valley-of-wind.krose.org

and so on, cycling through the three potential completions.

Any clues?

BTW, I've now been using zsh as my exclusive interactive shell for
almost exactly 10 years.  Sweet. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

* Re: Completion strangeness
@ 2005-05-18  2:13 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-05-18  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On May 17,  4:53pm, Kyle Rose wrote:
} Subject: Completion strangeness
}
} This relates to zsh 4.2.5's ssh command line completion.  I don't know
} if this problem exists in earlier versions.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is yet another symptom of an old, old problem.

See zsh-workers/16598 and its thread, and search for 16598 in the years
2004 and 2005 using http://www.zsh.org/cgi-bin/mla/wilma/workers

* Re: Completion strangeness
@ 2005-05-18  4:18   ` Kyle Rose
From: Kyle Rose @ 2005-05-18  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On May 17,  4:53pm, Kyle Rose wrote:
> } Subject: Completion strangeness
> }
> } This relates to zsh 4.2.5's ssh command line completion.  I don't know
> } if this problem exists in earlier versions.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, this is yet another symptom of an old, old problem.
>
> See zsh-workers/16598 and its thread, and search for 16598 in the years
> 2004 and 2005 using http://www.zsh.org/cgi-bin/mla/wilma/workers

My impression from the results of the search is that there has been no
official solution committed for this problem.  Is that right?

Cheers,
Kyle

* Re: Completion strangeness
@ 2005-05-18 14:49   ` Kyle Rose
From: Kyle Rose @ 2005-05-18 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On May 17,  4:53pm, Kyle Rose wrote:
> } Subject: Completion strangeness
> }
> } This relates to zsh 4.2.5's ssh command line completion.  I don't know
> } if this problem exists in earlier versions.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, this is yet another symptom of an old, old problem.
>
> See zsh-workers/16598 and its thread, and search for 16598 in the years
> 2004 and 2005 using http://www.zsh.org/cgi-bin/mla/wilma/workers

FWIW, I tried this patch:

diff -r1.1 _combination
91c91,93
<   compadd "$@" -a tmp || { (( $+functions[_$key] )) && "_$key" "$@" }
---
>   local expl
>   _wanted $key expl $key  compadd "$@" -a tmp ||
>       { (( $+functions[_$key] )) && "_$key" "$@" }

and it does *not* change the behavior I'm seeing.  I checked functions
to make sure the updated version was cached. :P

Kyle