zsh-users
* Re: [solved] ulimit -n to small
@ 2006-04-14 21:28 Heinrich Götzger
From: Heinrich Götzger @ 2006-04-14 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Heinrich Goetzger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my zsh 4.2.5 on gentoo has a problem with the number of file descriptors.
> They can not raise the hard limit even with the -S set as mentioned in [1]:
>
> $ ulimit -n
> 1024
> $ ulimit -SHn 2048
> ulimit: can't raise hard limits
> $ ulimit -Sn 2048
> ulimit: value exceeds hard limit
>
> But I need a value for file descriptors > 5000 for some java application.
> With ksh and zsh @ root it works as expected:
> ulimit -n 1024
> # ulimit -n
> 1024
> # ulimit -n 8192
> # ulimit -n
> 8192
>
> How can I change the hard limit for the file descriptors?

so, it's been quite a year since I asked this qustion. But now I've
found some nice sollution on my gentoo box:

just add
<user>              hard    nofile          16384
<user>              soft    nofile          8192
to file: /etc/security/limits.conf

and all is fine now.

Cheers

Heinrich

> [1]: http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Doc/Release/zsh_16.html

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-04-14 21:28 UTC | newest]